1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Event Viewer shows errors

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by JohnO28356, Jan 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JohnO28356

JohnO28356 Thread Starter

Windows XP. Event Viewer/System shows two errors at bootup (not shown at reboot). Errors are in Service Control Manager- Event: 7001 - User: N/A. Both the errors refer to Workstation Service failing to start. I looked up this 7001 error on Google, and it seems to refer to networking. I'm not on a network. I don't know how long the error has been taking place; just happened to notice it today while poking around in Administrative Tools. The computer seems to be booting okay, and it runs fine. Any ideas? Thanks.

2. computer-aces

computer-aces

Do you have a network card on your computer? How do you connect to the internet?

Cory

3. JohnO28356

Hello, Cory. Thanks for the response. No network card, and I'm a country boy using what's available: Dialup (AT&T).

4. computer-aces

computer-aces

Is there an onboard ethernet card that's not disabled? It seems like a network card or some network setting is not properly configured or maybe it's set up for DHCP and not getting an IP address. Or... it could be something else. If your using dial up and this is the only error in event viewer, I'd just leave it alone. Sort of like the "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" saying. I used to have some error that bugged me and I could never find out anything about it. But, that was Win.2000 and that was an older PC that I no longer have. Check and see if maybe you have some network components installed that is not necessary for a dial up modem.

Cory

5. JohnO28356

Hey, Cory-- I got rid of the error by following the Services advice on Black Viper.com. I disabled the networking services, and the error is gone away. The error wasn't slowing this thing down or anything, I just didn't like knowing it was there. Oh well, it's Windows--- something else will happen soon to bug me.

6. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

Before you Googled did you do this?

Did you click on the link under
    "For more information see help and support at" ?

This starts help and support. There will be a User Action section with advice on how to proceed. Often links to KB articles are provided with possible solutions. It doesn't always happen, but it can be helpful.

7. JohnO28356

Hi Mosaic-- I had tried that, but there were no KB's etc available. But it very "helpfully" told me to contact my Sys Administrator.

8. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

Help and Support. Well, at least you found Black Viper. That is the best Services site I have found so far.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/112352

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice