1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Event Viewer: warning, disk, event 51

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by rani52, Sep 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rani52

rani52 Thread Starter

Dell Dimension 8200 (3 years old); Intel Pentium 4, 2000 Mhz; Phoenix BIOS (never updated); WinXP SP2 (all updates); AVG Pro; Brother MFC 420cn; Dell 1702 FP LCD; Spybot; MS AntiSpyware Beta.

Trying to save time for everyone, I'll just say that I looked at Event Viewer today. I've looked at it infrequently, and never could understand what I saw, but today there was something relatively new and scary:

Type: Warning
    Date: 9/2/2005
    Time: 7:24:03 AM
    Source: disk
    Category: None
    Event: 51
    User: N/A
    Computer: JohnandCheryl

Further info under help and support said an error was detected during a paging file operation.

The word "disk" scared me, so I checked the entire Event Viewer, and found 25 of these errors, from Aug 1 2005 through Sep 3 2005. If this event was cataloged earlier, I don't know, because the Event Viewer only goes back to Aug 1.

I checked System Restore for Aug 1, 2005 and found a couple of things; 1) an accidental MS "update" to NVIDIA GeForce4 MX driver 5.12 -- but we've had the 6.1.7.7 driver for a long time now. The 5.12 screws up the display resolution, big time. I reinstalled the 6.17; resolution is fine; but I'm wondering if this could have something to do with the Event 51 warning.

Also, on that same date, something called Software Distribution Service 2.0 is listed three times, and I don't know why. I don't even know what it is.

I've researched the web, and can't find anything that seems to apply -- other than potential for a hard drive crash. Just what I don't need.

Meanwhile, the entire system is working extremely well; fast and smooth; no glitches or twitches that I can detect -- and I'm thoroughly baffled. Can anyone help me with this? Thanks so much.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!