1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Event Viewer,

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by banzia, Jun 2, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. banzia

banzia Thread Starter

Hi Techguys,

I have been trying to learn more about whats happening within my system in terms of the Event Viewer.....

I have checked this application out and have discovered that it is declaring errors, warnings ect...... See below, the password thing bothers me, could anyone explain...

Applications

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: True Vector Service
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 1
    Date: 02/06/2002
    Time: 21:57:31
    User: N/A
    Computer: BANZIA
    Description:
    The description for Event ID ( 1 ) in Source ( True Vector Service ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: .
    Data:
    0000: 4f 70 65 6e 50 72 6f 63 OpenProc
    0008: 65 73 73 45 72 72 6f 72 essError
    0010: 20 35 3a 20 6f 6e 20 70 5: on p
    0018: 72 6f 63 65 73 73 20 49 rocess I
    0020: 44 20 38 38 38 2c 20 6e D 888, n
    0028: 61 6d 65 64 20 00 amed .

Event Type: Warning
    Event Source: Userenv
    Event ID: 1517
    Time: 09:29:56
    User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
    Description:
    Windows saved user BANZIA\banzia registry while an application or service was still using the registry during log off. The memory used by the user's registry has not been freed. The registry will be unloaded when it is no longer in use.

This is often caused by services running as a user account, try configuring the services to run in either the LocalService or NetworkService account.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Secutity..

Event Type: Failure Audit
    Event Source: Security
    Event Category: Policy Change
    Event ID: 615
    Time: 22:51:46
    User: NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE
    Description:
    IPSec Services: IPSec Services failed to get the complete list of network interfaces on the machine. This can be a potential security hazard to the machine since some of the network interfaces may not get the protection as desired by the applied IPSec filters. Please run IPSec monitor snap-in to further diagnose the problem.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Event Type: Failure Audit
    Event Source: Security
    Event Category: Account Management
    Event ID: 627
    Date: 01/06/2002
    Time: 13:38:41
    User: BANZIA\banzia
    Description:
    Change Password Attempt:
    Target Account Name: HelpAssistant
    Target Domain: BANZIA
    Target Account ID: BANZIA\HelpAssistant
    Caller User Name: banzia
    Caller Domain: BANZIA
    Caller Logon ID: (0x0,0xD7D3)
    Privileges: -

System

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: Service Control Manager
    Event ID: 7000
    Time: 21:55:29
    User: N/A
    Description:
    The nVidia WDM A/V Crossbar service failed to start due to the following error:
    The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it.

Quite a list .....

2. Nick Scott

Nick Scott

The TrueVector one is to do with ZoneAlarm. Have you noticed anything wrong with it? Looks like its trying to display an error message but can't find the message to display. Looks like you might have to reinstall ZoneAlarm to get rid of this.

Ipsec is to do with VPNs so unless you are running one I would disable the service from starting automatically with Windows.

The nVidia one is to do with your graphic card drivers. Are you noticing any errors with that?

There will always be some errors or warnings in the logs. A lot of the time they are one-offs and if the system doesn't have a problem they can relatively safely be ignored.

3. banzia

banzia Thread Starter

Hi Nick, Thanks for replying, I was wondering if you would see the post. I have not noticed anything with regard ZoneAlarm, appart from the usual pop ups ect....

Not sure what you mean by vpns , could you explain, and how to disable ect....

I know what your saying with regard to the error messages ect.... but just to be sure I thought I should ask. I would also like to view TechGuys archive on xp, how , where can I find it..

Thanks again...

4. Nick Scott

Nick Scott

If you haven't noticed anything unusual you can probably leave it (if it ain't broke...) but you would want to check that its still protecting you properly. Go to this site http://grc.com/intro.htm
    and run their shields up app online. Just for peace of mind really.

VPN is Virtual Private Network and IPsec is IP security. I get the feeling that you are a home user so you won't be using either of these. For more info on IPsec and what it does type it in in XP's help search dialog. There's more there than you would ever want to know. To disable it, go to Control panel / administrative tools / services. Scroll down to IPsec, then double-click on it and change the startup type from automatic to manual or disabled. Hit apply and Ok your way out. The service won't start, or cause any further error messages.

The TechGuy archives for this forum are available from the top of the NT/W2k/XP forum page. That are fully searchable. You could easily lose half your life in there.

5. banzia

banzia Thread Starter

Thanks Nick, You are right I am using the Home Version, you may remember me from the 1394 Net Adapter Post...

I will visit the site you recom.... and will also check the archive, Did you see the Fireworks tonight....

banzia

6. Nick Scott

Nick Scott

Hi Banzia

Yeah I sure remember you. Its always a pleasure to help out people coming back for second helpings.

Weren't the fireworks great? I though the whole thing was really well organised. Now if only we can get the neighbours to stop letting them off as well.....

7. banzia

banzia Thread Starter

Yeah I enjoyed the fireworks, most of the concert to...

The Fireworks issue is really current up here in Glasgow, they are being used as weapons here.... as well as just bloody noisey.

I have just tried the shields up site (bookmarked) and after downloading the plug and play app my system is secure, not that anyone would find me interesting enough to hack...

I have still to go into services and disable the apps you mention but will have a go later.

I take it you do not have to go to work tommorow, as your are up late...

8. Nick Scott

Nick Scott

You guessed right. Big lie in tomorrow as the kids were up late watching the show too, so no early wake-ups from them means extra sleep for me too.

Ah sweet slumber swathe me with thy purple cloak, and all that! :D

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/82025

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice