1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Ever wonder about the differance between DVD-R and DVD+R?

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by Anton Wan, Sep 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Anton Wan

Anton Wan Thread Starter

I guess this might not be the best place to post this but this afternoon I was trying to find the differnce between DVD-R/RW and DVD+R/RW. I found a post on another forum and this one post answered all of my questions. My boy turk690 posted this at DVDhelp.com . Here it is:

Physically DVD-R and +R are the same. The differences lie in the way the blanks are formatted for recording. The official recordable DVD format is DVD-R/RW, and DVD-RAM. This is what some companies (like Pioneer, Panasonic and Apple) push for. Since it is the official format you find the DVD logo on said blanks. But some companies (notably Philips) thought the kind of formatting there was inefficient, etc. So they came up with another blank DVD format and decided to call it DVD+R/RW. Philips extoll the virtues of +R/RW by saying it offers "lossless linking" (where you can successively add videos to a blank DVD+RW and in between while it's not yet filled you can watch on another conventional DVD-player whatever is recorded so far: this goes against the finalizing requirement in -R), and "faster formatting and erasing", among other supposed advantages. Because +R/RW is NOT the official recordable DVD format the DVD logo is not found on the blanks; rather, you merely see "RW". In any case, after the recording is made (of a DVD-video or a DVD-ROM collection of files), the + and - distinction is gone and the player or drive where the disc is inserted could hardly care less if it once was a DVD-R or a DVD+R. DVD+RW does offer a little benefit over DVD-R (apart from the mentioned) in that the slowest recording speed (on a PC drive) is 2.4x, as opposed to more common x1 and x2 DVD-RW. These little differences are not significant to the point where one should be swayed exclusively to either, so that dual-format drives have become the recent rage, and IMHO, should be a deciding factor when thinking of buying a DVD writer.

By far the best answer I have ever heard (y)

2. Cookies

Cookies

Excellent post and often questioned. :) Thanks so kindly!

3. mick37

mick37

Hi im new to the forum stuff and have been looking to find answers on how to erase a dvd-ram 120min/4.7gb disc on my computer.....any answera will be very much appreciate :)
    Michael

4. Roshith

Roshith

nice post anton wan...something i have always wondered abt......but never thought of asking it over here.........:)

5. Bman

Bman

Anton,
    Thanks for the post... I can't believe the amount of information on that website. I've been using CDs for awhile, but just recently started burning DVDs. Great reference!!

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/168605

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice