Everest Home edition help

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

I ran everest home and have some questions, heres the list first...

Field Value
North Bridge Properties
North Bridge VIA VT8363(A) Apollo KT133(A)

Memory Timings
CAS Latency (CL) 3T
RAS To CAS Delay (tRCD) 2T
RAS Precharge (tRP) 2T
RAS Active Time (tRAS) 5T

Memory Slots
DRAM Slot #1 64 MB (SDRAM)

AGP Controller
AGP Version 2.00
AGP Status Enabled
AGP Device nVIDIA Vanta
AGP Aperture Size 64 MB
Supported AGP Speeds 1x, 2x, 4x
Current AGP Speed 2x
Fast-Write Not Supported
Side Band Addressing Supported, Disabled

Chipset Manufacturer
Company Name VIA Technologies, Inc.
Product Information http://www.via.com.tw/en/products/chipsets
Driver Download http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=2

Problems & Suggestions
Problem AGP aperture size is more than half of the system memory size. This may cause performance penalty.
Problem Current AGP speed is lower than maximum supported. This may cause performance penalty.

ok, where it says this "Problems & Suggestions
Problem AGP aperture size is more than half of the system memory size. This may cause performance penalty.
Problem Current AGP speed is lower than maximum supported. This may cause performance penalty.

what do these to things mean? i know it says the current AGP speed is slower than the max supported, and its set at 2x's and it can be up to 4x's according to this list, first off, what is the AGP speed and what do i do to turn it up to 4x's?
thanks

First of all, AGP Aperture memory will not be used until your video card's on-board memory is running low. Do you how much memory your video card has? You cant "turn up" the agp speed, its determined by the video card, you have a 2x, but it should be ok,it says its supported its just not the max you can have.
Your system only has 64mb RAM, and your sharing it all with the video, thats what that error is.

so basically, all i can do is add more memory to help things out?

pugmug

Banned
I would add more ram and a 4x vid card.What operating system are you running and do you know how to go into your BIOS to change the settings?

Most definitely and first I'd add more RAM. Even if you have windows98 thats not much ram. Upgrading the video card would be good too, but definitely ram.

ok help me out again, my video card is bad anyways, so i would like to upgrade it to a 4x video card, i will get one from e-bay because i dont have a lot to spend on one, ok, i need help in picking one because i have no idea what will work in this and what will be 4x,s. The original one in it now is a nividia vanta LT. I looked through e-bay but other than an identical card to what i already have, i dont know what im looking at.
thanks

5000 said:
ok help me out again, my video card is bad anyways, so i would like to upgrade it to a 4x video card, i will get one from e-bay because i dont have a lot to spend on one, ok, i need help in picking one because i have no idea what will work in this and what will be 4x,s. The original one in it now is a nividia vanta LT. I looked through e-bay but other than an identical card to what i already have, i dont know what im looking at.
thanks
we have to know all your specs, brand/model of all hardware, especially motherboard, 2nd dont use ebay for pc parts, there are pleny of inexpensive gfx cards at newegg or tigerdirect

Im in the USA, im not sure about the motherboard, but the computer is a compaq presario 5000, model 5wv260, it has a AMD duron 700mhz processor, 64 mb ram wich i am in the process of upping, and the video card is a nividia vanta LT 2x's, ummm thats about all i know..

well, i dont game at all, so i guess i could just replace it with the same thing i have?

I think the original is bad, i have these shaded gray lines that appear wherever im typing or there are icons and stuff. I tried a different monitor and it still did it, and i even tried wiping the hard drive clean and reloading windows, and tried reinstalling the driver for the card, and tried reseating the card, nothing fixes it, if youve ever seen a printer drag a little bit when its printing and leave those shaded lines where its printing, thats what the screen looks like. It doesnt really hurt anything but its not right either.

Triple6

Rob
Ok, yes then replace it. I've seen that many times and it is the card thats the culprit.

For $25 you can get this 64MB Geforce4 MX440: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814140024R

It's an AGP 4X and AGP 8X compatible card and at least twice as good as your old card.

Oh, and to see what speed your current memory is go to Motherboard -> SPD and see is its 1ooMhz or 133Mhz. Adding 256MBs or even 128MBs should help you out a lot.

now, will that card definately work in this thing since its 5 years old?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online