Everest Question

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Evasiege

Where can I go in Everest to check up on how my PSU is preforming? Ive recently been having problems where the monitor shuts off while playing games and im not sure if its related to the PSU or not.

All voltages should be within +/- 5% of the listed voltage; therefore, the +12V line can range from a low of +11.4V to + 12.6V, because 0.6V is five percent of 12V. The +5V line can range from +4.75V to +5.25V, and the +3.3V rail can range from +3.15V to +3.45V; the negative values are identical to the positive values, but of course, they must show negative voltages... IOW, -11.4V to -12.6V on the negative 12V rail, and so on.

Post the values you got from Everest, and someone will advise you more specifically...

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Note that many modern supplies and CPU monitors don't even support the -5V and -12V supplies. For instance, my voltages on this system are as follows. Note the -5V and -12V have some odd values. :) Also, the only sure way to check the voltages is using a decent voltmeter, since many MB sensors are pretty inaccurate.

Attachments

Evasiege

Well the voltages seem to be fine. Maybe its the heat that is causing comp to freeze. When playing games the GPU temp can get up 75C but I didn't really consider that to be too extreme. When sitting idol its around 50C.

Well, NOW you've told us that the system is freezing during gaming, which is frequently caused by overheating. You've also told us that your GPU is COOKING; even if your chipset is reading +10 degrees high, with actual temps at 40C idle and 65C under load, you have to do a better job of cooling that videocard. Remove the side cover of your case, then get a fan and blow it directly onto the videocard and CPU while you play your game. If the system works better with the extra cooling, you know what you need to focus on.

Evasiege

Well im not exactly sure if it is freezing or not. My monitor just shuts off then I end up having to reboot for it to turn back on. If you consider that freezing then ok. My CPU temp idle is around 40C and im not quite sure under a load. Ive already have the side panel off for awhile, yet it doesn't seem to be doing much and its not exactly a furnace in my house. Do you think buying another case fan would help with some of the heating problems? If so, which ones do you think would be optimal?

Evasiege

Wow, the GPU temp has now reached 85C. The CPU temp remains relatively cool at 53C while under a load.

Oh and I just noticed. The fan at the back of my computer is barely moving now... or it looks like its barely moving compared to my CPU and GPU fans.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
OK, anytime you hit the 70's, you have a problem. First off, the temperature sensors are lower quality than the voltage monitors, and frequently will be off by 10C. You probably need a better HS/fan on the graphics card to start things off.

Having the side cover off is NOT going to make much of a difference if you're cooking the GPU; you need to set up a fan to blow air directly onto the videocard as I've instructed to see what effect the extra ACTIVE cooling has. Since you've mentioned the slow-moving fan, that is probably something you should look into more closely. One rule of thumb is that if you can read the label on the fan, or see the blades as they spin, the fan isn't moving fast enough to have an effect. The fan blades and any label on the hub should look blurred..

Keep punching; you seem to be on the right track with this, and I'd HATE to see you smoke that videocard from insufficient cooling. As you've probably realized, you have to provide a balanced cooling solution for your system. Cool air intake (from the front), hot air exhaust (to the back), and good active cooling on the hottest internal components will keep your system functioning as well as can be expected.

Sometimes it's hard to know what to believe. Everest shows my Radeon 9800 at 45C while the Catalyst Control Center says it's running at 64C! Still if you haven't cleaned your video card fan and heatsink in awhile and it looks pretty dusty that could be your problem. Although your voltages may be within tolerance when you check them, they may not be in the middle of a game. Do you have an adequate PS for your system?

Evasiege

I have a 500w PSU and I have checked the voltages in the middle of gaming and they were fine. I dont know why my vid card is getting this hot as I haven't had a overheating problem as of yet. Its either the fan at the back or the heatsink so im gonna look a little closer.

Evasiege

Yea, I just looked at my vid card and removed alot of dust from the fan as well as the rest of the computer. Im running at 55-58C under heavy load now. Thanks for the help.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online