1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Every file in Newsgroups is incomplete

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Narf_Bro, Feb 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Narf_Bro

Narf_Bro Thread Starter

I just switched internet providers (from cable to DSL) and tried accessing a binaries newsgroup.

With my old provider, I would on occasion see 1 or 2 file out of thousands which was incomplete.

Now that I've switched providers, 99% of the files are incomplete.

I am wondering if this is something to do with my settings? I called my provider tech support and they had never heard of the problem before and didn't know what to do.

I have tried this with two programs, Free Agent and Newsbin Pro. Both have the same problem.

Any help/ideas? Thanks.

- Narf_bro

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If you're talking about one of the major news providers, it may be your problem. I use SuperNews, and I have excellent luck 99% of the time. Occasionally, they'll have the wheels fall off, and have lots of incomplete binaries, but normally I receive 5x5.

If you are using a news server that's provided directly by your ISP, my experience is they're usually much less reliable, since they don't have the desire to make it work well, only a small percentage of their users even know what Usenet News is. :)

3. Narf_Bro

Narf_Bro Thread Starter

I tried with many different newsgroups, including large ones such as alt.

I am using a news server provided directly by my ISP. Even though it may be unreliable, I doubt it'd be 99% unreliable..

Is it possible for me to use a different News Server? I tried typing in the nntp address from my old provider in and it simply told me that it couldn't negotiate a connection to the server.

Also, is it possible for the problem to be in my settings?

Thanks

- Narf_bro

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Anything's possible. :) FWIW, it's not which newsgroups you try, if it's a server problem, all will have the problem as a rule. As far as other sources for newsgroups, you have to normally subscribe to a news service to access it, since they want to make money too. :) It's not that difficult to download the headers intact, so if you're seeing lost segments in almost all the headers, I have to assume that it's a news server problem. One easy way to check is to look around at places like SuperNews or GigaNews and see if they have a trial account, some do. You can then signup for free and see if you have better luck. I have SuperNews, and I have no issues. OTOH, when I had @home and used their news server, it was common to have stretches of weeks where almost all the attachments were incomplete.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/118172

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice