1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Every file opens with notepad

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Bendiksjr, Jul 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Bendiksjr

Bendiksjr Thread Starter

Yea basicly all the programs on my computer now opens with notepad. This happened because i opened a program with notepad and now my computer thinks that every program is supposed to be opened with notepad >.< Please someone help me fix this :)

2. captainron276

captainron276 Ron

To change what program opens your files, just Right click on a file then select Open with, and select your program:)

3. Bendiksjr

Bendiksjr Thread Starter

when i open a program that program it was originally supposed to be opened with, all the other programs on my comuter opens with that program too.

4. captainron276

captainron276 Ron

OK, when your in there selecting a program to open a file and only want that one file to open with it, look down towards the bottom of page and uncheck the Always use this type of program thingy.

5. Bendiksjr

Bendiksjr Thread Starter

oh, thanks thats one part solved :)

6. captainron276

captainron276 Ron

Welcome:) good luck:)

I have most of my file types associated with Wordpad.

7. Bendiksjr

Bendiksjr Thread Starter

altough not really, i have no idea what program all my files are supposed to be opened with

8. captainron276

captainron276 Ron

What did your programs open with prior to Notepad? It might be a simple System Restore point prior to this getting messed up.

9. good grief

good grief

Or, you could click the Start button, select Default Programs from the black part of the menu, and when the list of programs comes up, you can choose which ones you prefer to use, and set the defaults that way. That would take care of the majority of them, I think.

10. Elvandil

Elvandil

Did you really mean all "files" or just programs open with Notepad?

If it is just programs (exe files), then you need to remove the file association. Exe files should not have any at all.

Exe Reg Fix
    Exe Batch Fix
    Exe Com Fix
    EXEFIX_Vista/7

Or, use the attached file. It is not really a zip file so it will not open as a zip file. It needs to be renamed FixEXE.scr and then run.

Attached Files:

11. Hermitt43

Hermitt43

12. Bendiksjr

Bendiksjr Thread Starter

is there any way to delete everything on the computer (without doing it manually) and starting fresh. As if it was a completely new computer? My computer is an HP desktop and it did not come with a software cd with the operating system on it, the computer had it installed already.

13. Elvandil

Elvandil

Yes, if you have a recovery partition. Have you checked the manual?

There should have been an option to make recovery media when you got the machine.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1063322