1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Every time I unplug my laptop, harddrive is wiped out

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dfkeph, May 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dfkeph

dfkeph Thread Starter

Hi.
    Everytime I install windows 98 on my laptop, everything looks ok. I can
    reboot, etc, no problems. However, once I unplug the laptop from the ac
    adaptor, (my battery does have a short life span of 1 hour), next time I plug
    it back in, hard drive is wiped out, no partition or anything. I am wondering
    if this is simply a malfunction harddrive, or a more serious problem.

2. mobo

mobo

How are you checking to verify the partition is removed ?

3. dfkeph

dfkeph Thread Starter

Only way it will let me boot at all, is via floppy drive, which I put a dos diskette into.
    The c:\dir and it says "Invalid media type reading drive C, abort, retry, fail" It gives the
    same message if I try to copy a file to c: as well, until I run Fdisk via A:drive, and create a primary partition.

4. mobo

mobo

Boot with the bootdisk and at the A prompt type FDISK. Then select option 4 to view the partitions. Then see if it is listed.

5. dfkeph

dfkeph Thread Starter

Ok, did just that, and it says: C: has 2 partitions (never thought to try fdisk), #1
    status is A Pri DOS, under system it says unknown, and 100% usage, 2nd partition is non-dos, 2 mbytes, and thats all.

6. mobo

mobo

So the partition isn't being deleted. Maybe the boot order is messed up. Try entering the bios and see what the first boot device is..

7. dfkeph

dfkeph Thread Starter

it says booting order is, 1) cd rom 2)hard drive 3)diskette - thats odd because I dont currently have a cd rom drive (using a backpack via pararrel), and I had put the order at 1) hard drive 2)diskette 3)cd rom when I loaded windows onto last time. Tried changing it back to that order & booting, same issue.

8. mobo

mobo

Restart the laptop with the bootdisk again and at the A> prompt type sys c:

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/227380

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice