1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Everything has power but dosen't display?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Deanznet, Sep 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deanznet

Deanznet Thread Starter

Hey, i have a pc someone gave me they said it booted up befor but, i try to start it nothing happens, it turns on i hear some sound from the hard drive but nothing,

I swaped hard drives, samething, swaped video card, same thing.

Whats up? lol

2. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

Disconnect or remove all peripheral devices from the main board--floppy drive, hard disks, CD/DVD drives, modems--everything but power and video. Turn it on and see if you get any video. If you do, then the cause of the problem is one of the disconnected items. Turn it off and reconnect or reinsert the items one at a time, attempting to POST after each, until you get a failure to POST (power-on-self-test). The problem item will be the last item connected before the failure.

If it still fails to POST after removing all the peripherals, then it is either bad memory, bad power supply or bad main board. If you have more than one memory chip, try one chip at a time. If you have only one memory chip then you'll just have to find a known-good chip to test further. Once memory is eliminated, try another power supply. If you don't have another, take yours to a shop and have them test it.

Once you've eliminated all those parts, you're down to a bad board. And that is probably not worth replacing in an old system.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/746995

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice