1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Everything is bigger than usual

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jasnick, Nov 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jasnick

jasnick Thread Starter

After a recent upgrade, I have been having problems with my display adapter. I have been trying to install GoBack and on the re-boot , it only reboots in safe mode and tells me there is a problem with the display adapter. This is S3 Graphics ProSavage DDR - chip ID = 8D04. In Device Manager sometimes there are two listed, the above and one just called S3 which I think is from my earlier system. I disabled GoBack then have to try and restore things. I have to remove this several times, keep re-booting, seem to go round in circles as Windows searches for the correct one. It finally seemed to sort itself out and now lists the correct one and boots normally.

However, on the final boot last night, everything is now huge ! Windows seem about 50% bigger than usual, as do icons and they are a bit blurry too. Even the print is bigger even though in View it is listed as Smaller.

I tried to alter some things in Display/Appearances but it didn't have much effect. How can I get back to normal size? Thanks

2. brianF

brianF

Download the latest drivers for your video card. Then shutdown and reboot in safe mode by pressing F8 just before the windows is loading message comes up, choose safe mode from the list. Go to device manager, remove any and all items listed under display adapters, probably be more than one the way it sounds. Once deleted reboot, let windows find your video card and install the drivers

3. jasnick

jasnick Thread Starter

brainF

That is exactly what I have been doing. It had great difficulty finding the drivers, asking me for a disk etc, but finally seemed to find it after several re-boots and now it seems OK except everything is large !

Forgot to mention, when booting up this morning, my mouse pointer had reverted to the default instead of the way I had it set before.

4. Deathdealer

Deathdealer Guest

its obvioulsy ure resolution right click on dektop to change

5. jasnick

jasnick Thread Starter

Deathdealer

Did a search and found that, thanks. Changed it from 640x480 to 800x600. That fixed the window size but the sys tray icons are now very tiny. How do I restore those?

6. compilerxp

compilerxp

Please upload image...

Press the PRINT SCREEN button, and past it into Paintbrush (ugh) or the free program IrfranView32 and save as a JPG file if possible. You have to do a normal REPLY to add a graphic file.

800x600 is still very low res.

7. jasnick

jasnick Thread Starter

compilerxp

Sorry to be so dense - what screenshot do you want? thanks

8. compilerxp

compilerxp

You said your screen looks fine, but your sys tray icons are tiny... I am not picturing your problem.

But perhaps someone has an idea withot seeing it.

Screenshot the desktop - we can see the relationship of it compared to your system tray.

9. jasnick

jasnick Thread Starter

compilerxp

Wish I could! Unfortunately the hot keys on my new keyboard (Microsoft Multimedia) only work intermittently. Nothing happens when I press PrtScn and yes, I have the F lock off.

I have been fiddling with things since last I wrote. The situation now is that the icons on the desktop (on top of the wallpaper) are fine. So are the Quick Launch icons.

The Sys tray icons are now normal size but blocky and blurry. Likewise the icons on Launchmate which I dock to the left of the screen.

Why some are OK and some not is a mystery to me.

10. compilerxp

compilerxp

okay...

I guess its nice to know M$ makes broken hardware and software ;)

Furture reference:

Press the the PRINT SCREEN button. (Holding down the ALT key while pressing Print Screen will Screen shot a window).

Open a paint program or IrFranview - and press Ctrl V (or Paster).

Thats how its done.

11. jasnick

jasnick Thread Starter

compilerxp

Thanks for that - tried it and it worked.

However, it is now a moot point as when I booted up this morning EVERYTHING was back to normal. This is in spite of many re-boots yesterday when I was trying to figure out what was wrong.

Aren't computers fun @#$%$

Thanks !

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!