1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Everything is running so slow

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by TytoAlba22, Jan 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TytoAlba22

TytoAlba22 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Debra
    Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU J1800 @ 2.41GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 55 Stepping 8
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 3987 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics, -2038 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 455 GB (374 GB Free);
    Motherboard: Dell Inc., 0KXN37
    Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled

Everything is running so slow, I can't get around the internet. Files take too long to open. I'm frustrated. Please help.!

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    For starters, while on the Windows 10 desktop, hold down the CRTL and SHIFT keys and tap the ESC to open the Windows Task Manager.

Click the column heading marked CPU to show which apps are using the most CPU cycles at the top of the list. Then click the column heading marked MEMORY to show which apps are taking up the most memory at the top of the list. Let us know say the top five apps listed in each case and their percentages of CPU and Memory usage.

Has the computer always been slow or have you added any software or made other changes right before the slowdown?

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    You appear to have a Dell Inspiron 3646 desktop which has a weak low-end processor.
    That in itself is going to make your desktop run like a turtle when performing certain functions.

Capture.JPG

It's also unknown how well you maintain your desktop and what's installed in it, so that can also have a negative impact on speed.

------------------------------------------------------------------

4. TytoAlba22

First Name:
    Debra
    This computer was purchased for me to help someone with a business...keeping up with email, social media, etc. While the business as been 'on hold' the computer has not really been used that much. It takes so long to get around; I do most everything on my phone or I use the computer/printer/scanner at work. The color I see on the monitor is not the color that prints out so it's a bunch of issues that may just be the nature of this computer.
    Creative Cloud CPU= 12.1 MEM=616.MB
    Google Chrome 1.6 614 MB
    Task Manager

5. TytoAlba22

First Name:
    Debra
    Sorry. I got bumped off.

Creative Cloud CPU= 12.1 MEM=616 MB
    Google Chrome 11.6 614
    Task Manager 19.8 20.3
    Hpqdirec.exe 2.1 34.4
    Antimal Service Executable 2.4 50.1

These numbers were hard to pin down as they were changing constantly. Above the CPU column is 41% , Above the MEMORY column is around 75%

6. TytoAlba22

First Name:
    Debra
    Has this computer always been slow? It seems like it. I resorted to Utilities Fix It on a particularly frustrating go 'round a few months ago and while it may have got things running again, it wasn't enough to start using it again.

7. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    There's no way that I can troubleshoot your issues without being there and having a "hands on" with your desktop.
    Using a "Utilities Fix-It" is never a good idea because that's a good way to damage the Windows operating system and certain software apps.
    You might consider using its built-in system recovery/factory restore function to revert it back to its original new condition and get a fresh start.
    If you decide to go that route, make sure to first back up whatever personal data you have stored in it.

---------------------------------------------------------------

TytoAlba22 likes this.
  8. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Your computer has 4 GB of RAM and a little over half of that is reserved for use by the video controller. About two-thirds of what is remaining is being used by Adobe Creative Cloud and Google Chrome. As flavallee says, we would need to get hands-on to troubleshoot the problem, by I would suspect that you are maxing out your RAM usage and Windows is using Virtual Memory to keep everything running. This involves moving blocks of RAM information to and from the Hard Drive as it is needed at any given moment. This can greatly slow down the speed of all programs running on the computer.

Installing more RAM might give you a marginal improvement, but it might be time to tell the business owner you need a more powerful computer with more memory.

TytoAlba22 likes this.
  9. TytoAlba22

First Name:
    Debra
    Thanks, guys. I appreciate the explanation I may just back up and start over AND see about a more useful desktop...any suggestions? I do photo editing and newsletters, social media...

10. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    You didn't say what price range you can afford, and if you plan to buy refurbished or brand new, but here are a few suggestions for buying a replacement desktop:

Do not select one with an Intel Celeron or Intel Pentium processor.
    Select one with at least an Intel Core i5 or Intel Core i7 processor.

Do not select one with only 4 GB of RAM.
    Select one with at least 8 GB of RAM.

Do not select one that has a "small form factor" or "desktop" case.
    Select one that has a "minitower" or "tower" case.
    Besides having more room inside for ventilation, they usually have a higher wattage power supply and more upgrade options.

----------------------------------------------------------------

TytoAlba22 likes this.
  11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1221474

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice