Everything is writing to E drive!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

timleonard32

Hello everyone. I have a Dell computer that I have had since last year and in March I decided to install Vista. Long story short, that was a mistake. I wiped everything clean and reinstalled XP Home edition with Service Pack 2 and everything was fine until it started saying my virtual memory was to low. I'm down to about 62MB and its suppose to have atleast 250MB. Upon further inspection I realized everything was saving to my E drive. I got a few things transfered over to the C drive but it hasn't helped. What should I do?!

The way I setup machines for a fresh install of Windows XP is to:
1. If it is a single physical hard drive partition it into two, with 20GB on the first partition. If multiple hard drives then I don't bother
2. Install Windows XP to the first partition or the first hard drive if you have two
3. Store all of your files/documents/photos/whatever on the other partition/drive
4. Use a program like FolderRedirector to change where your My Documents, My Music folders etc point to from the Windows XP drive to the other drive

As for virtual memory: If you have multiple physical hard drives in your machine, you should put your page file on the opposite drive to the one Windows is installed on. You must have at least 50MB worth of page file on the Windows drive however (else Windows won't boot).

Setup virtual memory (right-click on My Computer, select Properties, select Advanced tab, click the top Setting button under Performance, select Advanced tab, under Virtual Memory click Change. For your Windows drive set the Custom Size to 50MB - use same value for initial and maximum and click Set. For the other hard drive use a Custom Size as suggested - suggestion is Recommended amount near the bottom. Again same value for initial and maximum, then click Set. Finally restart your computer.

Your page file may be fragmented if your hard drive is full. Using the in-built windows defragmenter won't fix it - there is a free one available called Page File Defragger or something like that.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online