Everything went bad at once

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

superdad

I have a home made PC which worked perfectly until I moved it across the room. It has 2 hard drives, 2 CDs, AGP video card, 512mb memory.

After reconnecting it, the CDs became the Primary IDE devices. It did not change, no matter how I connected the cables. Finally I just left the hard drives connected and they became primary BUT the PC wouldn't boot. It said that it couldn't find Windows. I reloaded Win XP (kept files but all drivers and registry now gone.) Meanwhile, I tried to reconnect the CDs but the monitor did not work. After experimenting, I found that if I only connected one of the CDs, the monitor would work.

Now, when I boot up, it says that both drives are BAD, Need to be backed upped and reformatted! Then it tells me to press F1 to resume. Then it does not go immediately into Windows but it first goes into the screen asking if I want to load Windows normally. When I try to copy files to the C Drive or install a driver, it gives me an error message that there was a write error.

Last night, I ran chkdsk /f but when I got up this morning the results were not showing. So I ran an analysis and began defragging the drive (which was running as I left to work.)

Any ideas would be very much appreciated.

so physically moving it to the other side of the room was the ONLY change you made???

try removing all of your components from the mobo, clean and vacuum it, then only install plug in the PSU, 1 RAM stick, and 1 hard drive (the one with windows on it)

if you can boot into windows and everything is ok, add another component, then attempt to start it again, repeat this process for each component until they are all installed again.

if everything work fine, then it was just dirty, or a card (e.i. ram or vid card) was not seated properly, if this system doesn't work at ay of those steps, then you know where your problem lies

superdad

As a former help desk member, I don't know how many times I said "Is that all you did?" but yes, all I did was unplug everything; move it about 10 feet and reconnect.

Anyway, a couple of weeks ago Best Buy had a 160GB for $40 after rebates. But when I bought it and took it home I had forgotten that my C Drive was already 120GB and my D Drive was 60 GB so I returned it.

So my plans for tonight or the next time I get a few freee minutes, was to disconnect the CDs and D drive and try again.

Thanks

superdad

I tried starting with just the hrd drive installed. Same problems. Also, I found out that I can have 2 CDs and one hard drive or 2 hard drives and one CD and have the monitor work. It won't work with all 4,

I can install Office and drivers to my printer. But when I try to install drivers for my wireless card, it says thatan error occurred. Meanwhile I get a bunch of error messages that all say something to the effect of:
"Windows-Delayed write failed. Unable to save all hte data for C:\$Mft "(-- or other directories.)
The data has been lost. The error may be caused by a failure of your hardware or network connection.

None of these messages seem to relate to windows system or sys32.

I also get the "An error has occurred- Semd/Don't Send" message assoon as I go into Windows.

???Spooling.cache problem? Motherboard??
Please help.

there is no use to trying to load hardware or software until you get this sorted out, if you cant run just a basic setup psu/mobo/cpu+hsf/1 ram stick/gfx card and get a post beep and boot up to bios with no problems, if you get to this point add hdd with winxp see what happens

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.