1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

eVGA 6800GT running hot

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bikewrencher, Sep 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bikewrencher

bikewrencher Thread Starter

Hey guys, weird one for you.

I have an eVGA 6800GT. I noticed that my WoW game would freeze up for a little while after the framerate dropped. It looked like the video card was overheating, but I have a PCI cooler and 5 other fans in the case, so I thought that was quite unlikely. None the less, I downloaded nView and checked the GPU temp under Aquamark. The idle temp was 80 degrees C, with the temp spiking to 99 degrees C when the benchmark was running hard. This seems VERY hot to me. I'm going to add another fan on the side of the case to blow on the card, and the card fan is running, I checked that. Any other ideas?

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Adding more fasn is not likely the solution. Too many fans can be counterproductive.

I'd take a close look at your video card, is the heatsink loose, is the fan working at full speed?
    Maybe the PCI cooler isn't helping, try removing it as a test.

3. bikewrencher

I tired a number of different combinations, and this is what I got...the best performance (which is still not good) is with the PCI fan, 2 side fans (one on the upper motherboard-processor, one of the lower part - video card and such), the usual front case fan, a exhaust fan on the top, and an exhaust fan on the rear. I could get a system idle GPU temp of 79 degrees C. When I ran WoW with my entire guild gathered in one place for a meeting, the GPU temp was 129 degrees C max. The video card fan is running, but I don't know at what speed. As far as that massive heat sink, I don't really know how to check and make sure it is working properly. Last time I messed with a video card, there were.....bad results. Any tips or tricks? I've only had the card for about 1.5 - 2 years. This issue began only about 3 weeks ago. There were no problems before that. By comparison, the processor has never run above 50 degrees C, even with a 2% overclock.

4. jenisbro

jenisbro

Try removing the heatsink off of the video card, you might want to clean the gpu and heatsink of and try applying new thermal grease. just a thought

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Not a bad thought either, those temps are too high and there's something really wrong.

6. satanicguardian

satanicguardian

geez 99c u cud fry an egg on that, does it have a heatpipe system or just a heatsink which can be removed?

7. danv12

danv12

i have a 6800gt and play wow... thats odd

anyway.... get an aftermarket cooler and use some good thermal paste like arctic silver. You could start with something more simple like cleaning the inches of dust off the heatsink if its that bad. You could just get a new card, but i know i dont have that kind of money to spend on the spot.

8. bikewrencher

Are there any tricks to removing the heatsinks these days? I remember trying to remove a faulty cooling fan on a Raedeon about 4 years ago to replace it, and the paste they used actually glued the fan onto the GPU. The only way to get it off was to freeze it off. There was a precise amount of time to leave it in your freezer...anyways, that whole thing went horribly wrong. It was the only time I've ever seen a computer actually smoke.

9. bikewrencher

I think I fixed it. It wasn't visible until I got the top cover off, but every one of the tunnels created by the blades of the heatsink and the top cover and bottom of the casing was blocked with dust. I had blown the card out previously, but this dust was almost in solid form, so no amount of blowing would have done anything. I used a dental pick to scrape all the crap out of there, and now the system idle temp appears to be around 55 degrees C...much more manageable I'd say. I'll post some temps after I run a system stability test and get back on WoW. I could probably get it to run better with some arctic silver (I always keep a tube on hand), but I'm of the mindset that if it isn't broken, don't take it apart.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/631312

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice