1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

eVGA 9800GTX+ freezes

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bushpilot223, Jan 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bushpilot223

bushpilot223 Thread Starter

Randomly about once every 1-2 weeks, my video card freezes my computer and makes the screen go into an almost 8-bit color mode with wide rectangles (about 1/2 inch wide by 1/8 inch high) on my 19 inch monitor. Why the heck is it doing this? It just did it when I started my computer, so I rebooted, now I am here. It does it at random times like when gaming, surfing the net, at startup, doing desktop work like typing, and other things. It doesn't happen in one thing more than the other, it's completely random.

I think the video card is NVIDIA Hybrid power, because the clocks go down to like 300 core and 600 mem or something like that when on the desktop, but as soon as I do something that renders anything 3D the clocks jump up to 738 and 1100.

The video card is NOT overclocked, it is factory standard clocking.

It hovers around 35-38* C idle and I have never seen it pass 63*C when under full load.

Also I have the latest drivers, 181.22

Specs:
    eVGA 9800GTX+ 512MB GDDR3 (G92)
    738mhz core
    1100mhz memory (2200mhz effective)
    1836mhz shader

Windows Vista Home Premium 32bit
    4GB System memory
    3.0ghz AMD 6000+ (dual core)

Any way to fix without underclocking it? Or is that even the problem?

If I can't fix it, is it breaking my card? As long as I will not have a meltdown I am not doing a RMA and getting a new one, it only does it once every couple of weeks. But it always seems to be at a bad time... hehe

2. Stefk005

Stefk005

Are you sure that it's the video card? Have you run any diagnostics/stress tests? Try vidmemtest (google it) to check your video card's memory: it's could be some dodgy memory on the card.

I'm having problems of my own, but just now I had a crash with the screen you've just described (previously it was BSOD's and freezes).. I'm hoping it's not my HD4850...

3. lawson_jl

lawson_jl

if your temps are right on the drive it's running really hot and that is undoubtly causing your problems. The idle temps are fine but 63 C is way too hot shouldn't get more then say the low 50 C at the most.

4. Masta Squidge

Masta Squidge

hate to break it to you, but 63C on a video card is perfectly fine.

Many GPUs can and will run stable up to 100C, and most all of the current highest end cards run hotter than his 9800 GTX is. I have a factory overclocked 9800 GTX from XFX and it runs between 63-68C under full load after hours of gaming. I think the problem is not with his card.

To the OP: What is your power supply?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/796072

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice