1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

EVGA GeForce GTS 250 reviews

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dannyn, Aug 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dannyn

dannyn Thread Starter

2. BG-0

BG-0

Definitely XFX Radeon 4870 1 GB: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150394
    Lifetime warranty, the EVGA doesn't seem to have it, some models only have 2 years instead. (I don't know, this might be just different people listing the specs of different models when they're added, as the warranty seems to be 2 years without registration. I am not sure, check the things out)
    Also, Radeon 4870 is quite a bit better performer than GTS250, whcih competes with the 4850. Will be cheaper with the free shipping, too.
    As with any card, make sure you have enough power and cooling, as well as physical space.

3. BG-0

BG-0

Hey, by the way, do you have some special permission to have a longer sig from an admin or something, there was a signature size limitation (decent font size, three lines, etc) update a while ago.

4. Compiler

Compiler

Sig limitation is 3 lines, which is what he has.

dannyn: With Windows7 & DX11 video cards coming out in the next 2~8 weeks that will
    (A) Cost less
    (B) Run faster
    (C) Run cooler
    (D) DX 11

Wait a while longer or buy something cheaper... under $80.

5. BG-0

BG-0

The addresses were all on separate lines when I posted, now they're okay, I know.

6. dannyn

dannyn Thread Starter

Compiler, yes, very good idea. I think I will just buy something cheap since the board doesn't have on board graphics to get me going. I will eventually want to update to Windows 7 anyways. Thanks for the advice.

7. Compiler

Compiler

Besides... the GTS250 is really a renamed, overclocked and tweaked 9800GT thats $90~100... which itself is a slightly faster version, renamed version of the 8800GT that came out almost 2 years ago. sigh.

At least, all the ATI 4000 series cards are not re-branded... mostly. The never-see-the-light of day 4730 card is really a 4800 that is slower than the 4830. Why?

At least with Wikipedia, the 5870 should easily be twice as fast as the 4870... $189 appears to be the msrp. Also, looks like the entire ATI 5000 series is all GDDR5! Bottom up. Marketing wise, good. Also could make manufacturing the cards cheaper since the card makers can use the same memory type. The 4000 series uses: DDR2, DDR3, GDDR3, GDDR4, GDDR5. Their bottom end 5350 is 64bit, should be as fast as the 4650 for about $40.

The 5850/5870 are due for release on Sept 10.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/852740

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice