1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

EVGA GEFORCE GTX 660 Wont work anymore

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Rickflare92104, Mar 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Rickflare92104

Rickflare92104 Thread Starter

So I went to Best Buy to get a gaming computer, letting the sales associate know right off the bat that i will not understand all the technical talk and whizkid jargon that he would normally use to entice people. He led me to a computer (HP Envy) with two terabytes of memory and 12 gigs of RAM. I said i would take it but they only had the floor model as they were out of stock. i got the floor model because i did not want to leave without a computer. i also told the sales associate i wanted a graphics card that would allow me to play any game currently on the market (in 2013) with no problems whatsoever. They led me to a video of some card called "the titan" and i refused when i found out it cost near $1,000. So i bought the 2GB EVGA GeForce GTX 660 for around $300. I had problems with the computer not working with the video card, a number of beeps going off. Geek squad told me that it meant the power supply was insufficient. So i got a new power supply, installed it, then installed the video card. I think we installed the software first, then installed the card, but i'm not 100% on that. This was back in 2013. All was well until my computer got infected and i had to reboot it with the system recovery discs i got from HP. I tried installing my video card again after i finished the recovery because the geek squad guys recommended that i disconnect it while resetting the computer. i heard the beeping sounds again and there was no video on my screen. i was confused because the power supply hadn't changed since the last time it worked. After a while the beeping suddenly stopped but there was still a lack of video on the screen. Geek squad recommended that i try installing the software first, then installing the hardware. i tried that but the software won't install because it doesn't detect any compatible hardware. i cant start up the computer with the card installed because no video shows on the screen. i started the computer without the card and then (against my better judgment) i installed the card with the computer running. the fan on the card went full speed, then slowed down to a steady speed. but the computer still didn't show the video card and i couldnt install the software. I can't get the geek squad guys to actually put hands on the computer because then they would have to charge a small fortune. Can anyone help? has anyone else had this problem? I read in another thread that somebody had a problem with a corrupt EDID (external display identification device) on their monitor. i'm using a 32" SEIKI TV as my computer screen. I don't know if it's feasible for that to be my problem or if anyone knows how to fix that if it is. i would be incredibly happy if that was it and it was a simple fix.

Here are the specs i got from the SysInfo program thing on this site:

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4430 CPU @ 3.00GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 60 Stepping 3
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 12208 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600, -2016 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 1892622 MB, Free - 1807319 MB; D: Total - 13137 MB, Free - 1611 MB;
    Motherboard: Hewlett-Packard, 2AF3
    Antivirus: McAfee Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware, Updated and Enabled

Please help! I wanted to play Evolve with my dad back home, but sadly without the video card i cannot :(

P.S. on the power supply i bought there's a red swith with the numbers 115, and 230 when you slide the switch to the other side. i have no idea what it does but a friend of mine (in an attempt to help) switched it over to 115. I don't know if that is the problem or if it doesn't matter at all. but i'm told every bit of information helps! sorry for such a long post >.< and thank you for your time!

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

This likely did permanent damage to the card and or mb, etc. The only parts designed for hot plug/hot swap are usb devices OR some hard drives that support hot swapping.

Next geek squad is about the very last place to take anything to be repaired. If you need to have a computer repaired, take it to a local shop that does builds.

Do you have access to another system to test your card?

3. Rickflare92104

Rickflare92104 Thread Starter

I was afraid of that :/ I don't have access to another computer right now. everyone i know is running off of laptops.

4. Amd_Man

Amd_Man

For future reference; anytime you are working on the inside of the computer always shut it down through windows, unplug the plug going to the power supply then press the case power button to drain any residual power remaining.

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

At this point, the only real option you have is to take all of your parts ie mb, cpu, ram, video card, pw supply, etc to a shop and have them tested. Note I mean a real shop that actually does builds, repairs, etc NOT a best buy.

If you pull all of the parts, they will probably charge you 1/2hr to at most 1hr labor. If you just bring the tower and they have to pull the parts, the charge is going to be higher.

6. Blu_86

Blu_86

Let me ask you a question here. Do you have a valid warranty with Hewlett Packard? and did you also purchase a replacement warranty with best Buy?

7. Rich-M

Rich-M

Can you check the bios settings to make sure that it is set to boot to pci-x video card if present?

8. Blu_86

Blu_86

before any of the techs here kindly help you, what in God's name made you think to install a video card with a PC running? I mean you were apparently savvy enough to download and run a TSG proprietary program, which suggests you read the site here. Every PC building guide in existence will tell you to shut down your PC before you do that. That's why I am asking. Not to mention your very lengthy and detailed original post for help.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1144403

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice