New Evil Popup: "There is a recommended update for this PC"

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

cabjones

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit
Processor: AMD A10-8700P Radeon R6, 10 Compute Cores 4C+6G, AMD64 Family 21 Model 96 Stepping 1
Processor Count: 4
RAM: 11724 Mb
Graphics Card: Trigger II External Graphics
Hard Drives: C: 911 GB (499 GB Free); D: 18 GB (2 GB Free);
Motherboard: HP, 80B0
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Disabled
>>> My antivirus is Norton Security

Every so often--the last time was a few months ago--I get a popup that states "There is a recommended update for this PC." also a "Click here to exit" (not literal) but that field is not active.
  • This popup is truly evil because its window covers most of my screen and if I open a Firefox window it keeps putting itself on top--even on top of task-manager--so my search has been laborious while it is running. Thankfully, there was an icon on my task bar and a right-click to "close window." But it will be back--the last time it occurred was a few months ago. I believe I did a full Norton scan back then and nothing bad was found.
  • Today, I find nothing suspicious in [Programs and Features]--I recognize installing almost everything there. And I recognize all Apps in Task Manager, and all its Background Processes seem to be harmless. My startup program list is well-trimmed. Looking at Task Scheduler and the trigger conditions, (so many tasks) I found a few that suspiciously were triggered at about the time the popup appeared but I have not reached any conclusion.
  • There are other complaints on the web with the same message, but the only advice I can get is to find out what program is doing it. Ranging from install malwarebytes, to looking in [Programs and Features] for a suspicious program. To no avail. If I had the tools and the know how it seems that I could find out the process id and trace back to the originating program, but alas I am not keen here. It seems like this should be a well-known malware with a well-known source but all the advice seems to treat this as an unknown problem.
Any help to eradicate this program, virus, malware, whatever it is--eradicate it form my system--would be appreciated.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online