1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

EX-Dual Boot

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by searchdaddy, Apr 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. searchdaddy

searchdaddy Thread Starter

Is there a way to turn of the dual boot menu?
    the computer boots up to a XP Home or XP Pro menu... there is no XP Pro installed.

any suggestions?:rolleyes:

2. Cheeseball81

Cheeseball81 Retired Moderator

What I used to do was right click on My Computer > Properties > Advanced > Startup and Recovery Settings button > Edit, then delete the line on Operating system, just don't delete the wrong line or else you will not be able to boot.

Under Default Operating System, do you get 2 listings?

3. saikee

saikee

Cheeseball81's suggestion is the easiest.

The hidden file boot.ini is the configuration file that the boot loader NTLDR uses. Just edit the line out. With the long way to do this you need another system so use a XP or Win2k installation CD, a Vista or Win7 DVD and edit the file in the terminal (called Recovery Console by Xp or Command prompt in Vista/Win7). If you know Linux you can use it to edit the file directly as Windows hidden files are visible in Linux.

The Recovery Console commands are
    Code:
    cd \
    attrib -r -s -h boot.ini
    edit boot.ini
    Save the file and then make it hidden again by
    Code:
    attrib +r +s +h boot.ini

It is pretty harmless as you can edit the boot.ini as often as you like.

I have booted a Xp in 126 partitions and all I did was to alter the boot.ini, hide the partitions except the one I wanted to boot to, as documented here.

4. itsjusme

itsjusme

And save a backup copy of the boot.ini file before you edit it, just in case something goes snafu you can replace it and start over.

5. Jack Hackett

Jack Hackett

Start > Run > type in msconfig > ok
    Click on the Boot.ini tab
    click check all boot paths button
    It will now quickly verify each line mentioned in the Boot.ini to check if they are valid. If orphaned entries are detected, you'll be prompted with this dialog:

Choose Yes when the dialog box appears. This will remove the incorrect entry from Boot.ini file.

Much safer than editing the boot.ini file yourself, especially if you dont know what your doing
    Job done :)

6. searchdaddy

it tells me that i have to go into the normal set up mode on the general tab to start windows normally. i'm in diagnostic or selective startup mode

7. Bernardo

Bernardo

Just go to the boot tab.

8. searchdaddy

Works fine... thanks u guys!!!! :)

9. Cheeseball81

Cheeseball81 Retired Moderator

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/917948

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice