1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Exam help!!!

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by osm079, Apr 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. osm079

osm079 Thread Starter

I have exam on April, 28th at 2:00pm(central) Online-help is allowed. I will have 2 questions, which are one Excel and one Access question. I will need to solve one of the questions. Will anybody be online that day at that hour, so I can get an answer if I ask a question before the exam is over? The Access and Excell files will be given with a floopy disk. I can email them as an attachment, as well..

2. XL Guru

XL Guru

>> I have (sic) exam ... Online-help is allowed

>> Will anybody be online ... so I can get an answer

>> The files will be given with a floopy (sic), I can
    >> email them as an attachment

You're just making me feel stupid since the last exams I took, referring to anything was verboten. Application help, let alone any other kind, was disabled.

It's probably none of my business but I can't help asking ; are you serious?

No offence,
    Andy

3. mama-mac

mama-mac

Sorry - but isn't that kind of like... cheating? To have someone waiting???... I hope you know the answers and won't have to ask for help!

4. jbcalg

jbcalg

so you can use a lifeline?
    ask the audience for help?
    :)

never heard of an 'open internet' exam

5. osm079

osm079 Thread Starter

not a big deal guys. "Online help is allowed" means anything you want it to mean. There is always something to figure out... ;)

6. MustBNuts

MustBNuts

I've attempted three responses to this post, but each time just shook my head and closed the browser.

osm079, I'm not sure whether I'm more disturbed by your original post, in essense, help me cheat, or your follow up, not a big deal...?!

Of course, people like you are needed in the workplace today....somebody has to take our orders at McDonalds!

MBN

7. osm079

osm079 Thread Starter

I guess you guys didn't understand what I said. "Online help IS allowed by the instructor." This NO cheating, this is NO fooling. There are websites/forum groups to these questions. All I did was just use one of them. Sometimes you need to use the shortcut so that you have more than enough time to get to your next goal. You are incredible MustBNuts.Stay this way. I guess you will have to eat McDonals's for soooo long. Btw, I would pass the bridge when I got there if I were you. But, as I said; You are incredible.

8. MustBNuts

MustBNuts

Oh stop osm079, you're killing me! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

What I read into this question is that the teacher is going to be behind his/her desk and computer while all her students are facing him/her, behind their computers...just clicking away doing taking their tests.

Teacher didn't say "open book"...why, I wonder, hmmmm? So here is osm079, seemingly clicking away at his exam...but no, he really isn't. He is on the web. Is he at some Access tutorial site? Is he at the Microsoft Knowledge Base looking for information? Is he on a programming site, searching for specific tips for his final answer?

No, he's actually typing the question in and posting it on a forum to try to get someone else to answer it for him. :rolleyes: (n)

Still don't get it, kid. With that attitude, I'm not sure McDonald's would keep you on long.

I could hear the wooshing sound as the meaning of my signature went right over your head. QED!

MBN

9. EBSchrader

EBSchrader

Children, children, can't we play nicely? As the head honcho on another list is fond of saying, "Say what you mean, but don't say it mean."

10. XL Guru

XL Guru

Good evening EBSchrader.

>> Say what you mean ...

OK ; in plain English then ... :)))

1. In some groups I've frequented, there's a rule/guideline/call it what you will, to the effect that "we can't do your homework for you". IMO, the request flagrantly breaches that.

2. Until recently I was employed interviewing job applicants and administering related aptitude tests. At all times the processes were legally required to be conducted under identical conditions, to ensure everyone had the same opportunity. I am concerned, particularly in terms of the comment "sometimes you need to use the shortcut so that you have more than enough time to get to your next goal", that by consulting the forum in "real time", osm079 could gain an unfair advantage over other candidates.

Nuff said, best rgds,
    Andy

11. mama-mac

mama-mac

So XL Guru - would it be fair to say that if one of your applicants needed online help - directly through a forum "real time" - that they probably wouldn't quite qualified and be hired for the job? I don't think I would :confused:

Although, if an employee is truly stumped in the workplace on an application problem and can't get any help from IS (or IT - depends on your company) then using this (or other) forum and internet resources is a great idea - as long as the employee gets the job done.

12. XL Guru

XL Guru

mama-mac,

>> would it be fair to say that ...

Wouldn't happen, period. But thanks for reminding me of another possible angle. It may well be an exam to test initiative, rather than actual knowledge of Access/Excel.

I doubt that osm079 is actually planning to "cheat", it just comes across that way. If s/he was planning to "cheat", s/he would make sure it didn't.

osm079, while I may be around, my own priority is trying to help those whose personal lives are being made a misery by the vagaries of various apps. However, A BIG WORD OF WARNING :

>> "Online help ..." means anything you want it to mean

Not necessarily. "Online help" in some circles means an application's own help file (as accessed via the Help menu), not "the internet". Ergo, you may be in for a shock.

Rgds,
    Andy

13. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Indeed, Andy, you are probably correct. That usually means they are able to use the *online help* menus within the application.

Many people ask for assistance in forums like Tech Guy.
    Many people jump all over the person in self-righteous indignation that they're not learning.
    Many people who ARE learning dont' understand that, nor do they understand the attitude with which they're often received.
    If someone asks for homework help, it's quite simple:
    --explain the rules of the forum
    --offer to give guidance or direction, but not answers

Judge not.
    If you don't like the direction of the thread, please report it.
    Please do not jump all over a new member in this fashion.

osm079: If we take you at your word, then it sounds to me like an intelligent employer might be reviewing your ability to solve problems in the application, regardless of the method. If I were employing someone, their ability to use the free tech sites would probably impress me more than the ability to write one fancy-schmancy query.

Forgive the experts here. Most of us did not gain our knowledge through the tech sites, but through hard work and learning processes. However, had we HAD these tech sites at that time, rest assured we would have used them too. Does that mean that we learn less? Probably. Does it mean we would still accomplish more? Probably.

Whatever you do...pay back what you have received. :)

(stumbles as she steps down from podium)

14. Ziggy1

Ziggy1

15. MustBNuts

MustBNuts

I truly respect your opinion, Dreamboat, but I must disagree with some of what you said. I believe his/her exam is at school, and having just graduated in 2000, I can tell you with some confidence that it sounds like one of the required IT courses for all majors (and more often these days, offered in high schools also since computer skills have become such a necessity). The course that is most widely offered is an intro IT class that teaches the bare minimum about computer operation but then goes into more depth on the basic office applications: word processing, spreadsheet, and databases. The fact that he/she is being given the option of Access or Excel, for me, proves the point. But even then, the skills the student is asked to learn are very basic.

Those of us here who help other forum members and visitors do it because we've all been in a position where we need to get a particular job done. It is rare that an entire outline/answer is given; rather, hints, tips, ideas, or bits of the puzzle are provided. As that person progresses through their project, if they have additional issues or problems, we pipe up with more help.

For a student to come in, openly declare that it is an exam, offer to provide a copy of the files he/she will be provided, in an attempt to elicit the quick answer is unconscionable("Sometimes you need to use the shortcut so that you have more than enough time to get to your next goal." ) First, it is not what we are here for, and second, it is unfair to all the other students who bother to study for the upcoming exam. Passing someone else's work off as your own should not be encouraged - either in business or in school.

Many people here (myself included), when we detect a homework request, will inquire then kindly inform the poster that we don't do homework but if they have specific questions or problems, we'd be glad to help if we can.

And anyone who wonders about the business aspect need only look in our own forum. Recent post of an individual who is looking for ways to disable Spell Check and Grammar Check for testing purposes: http://forums.techguy.org/t222582.html.

I think I'll come off my soapbox now. And yes Ziggy, should be interesting!

MBN

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/223510

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice