Excel 2000 macro query

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

johnni

Usually when I construct a new Macro a small box appears where I can click to stop recording. Now this box no longer appears and I have to go to the Tools menu to stop it recording. Can I get that small box to appear again, please?

Also, in the list of available Macros there is the option to edit a Macro. I have unhidden the Personal.xls sheet but editing anything at all never seems to work. When I click on edit a new sheet appears showing the existing Macro commands. I then might want to edit a cell reference, and after doing this I press Alt-Q, but the Macro remains unchanged. Is there some special technique involved?

johnni

On the first point, start recording something -- anything -- then while still recording go View > Toolbars > Stop Recording & check it. From then on, it should show by default.

Still digesting the second point.

When you make changes (supposedly) to personal.xls and then close Excel, do you get the attached?

Attachments

Andy, you will get that anytime the workbook's Saved property is set to False; unless of course you have not set DisplayAlerts back to True (2002 and later).

johnni

Thanks for your replies. The 'stop recording' box now appears OK, and yes I do get the message shown in your attachment. At that point I am not sure if I have to just close Excel or also restarting the computer. I generally find myself deleteing the macro and then re-recording with the changes I want!

johnni

You could always alter the recorded macro code to do what you want instead. This would be the first big leap into VBA development. Everybody starts with the macro recorder code. :)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online