1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Excel 2003: Can't modify Tools>Options settings

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by thurbaluva, Nov 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. thurbaluva

thurbaluva Thread Starter

weird dialog box comes up when I try to modify excel options

"number must be greater than or equal to zero"

this is preventing me from modifying the options.

Any ideas?

tia.

2. Zack Barresse

Zack Barresse

Hi there,

Can you upload the file? Do you have data validation or any VBA running? I'm assuming you're using 2003??? Please give more information, and/or screen shots.

3. slurpee55

slurpee55

There are very few items in the Tools - Options popup that require a number (e.g., number of worksheets in a new file) and they all must have some positive value. So my guess is that one of those has been changed. I mean, "Save Auto-Recover info every: 0 minutes" would not work....

4. thurbaluva

I tried to upload an image from my HD. I can't access photo hosting such as photobucket, etc.

I do have some macros that I created in PERSONAL.xls
    The problem started happening shortly after I started messing with p.xls

I think the problem would fix itself if I rid PERSONAL.xls of its macros but I like the ones I created so I'd like to avoid that if possible. Of course this is a work computer and I can't duplicate the error at home where I'm running excel 2007.

5. slurpee55

slurpee55

Zack would know this better than I, but it is possible that you have a corrupted Personal.xls - or one of the files that auto-loads there is corrupt. Try this:
    1. Using Windows, locate and rename your Personal.xls file.
    2. Start Excel and run the macro recorder (Tools | Macro | Record New Macro).
    3. Specify that the macro you are recording should be stored in your Personal.xls workbook. (Select "Personal Macro Notebook" in the "Store Macro In" drop-down list.)
    4. Click OK, which starts the macro recorder.
    5. Select a different cell in your worksheet.
    6. Stop the macro recorder (Tools | Macro | Stop Recording).
    This should create a new Personal.xls folder for you. You can then, one-by-one, install your old macros there from the previous file that you saved. If you get the problem again, that is the macro that is not working....

6. Zack Barresse

Zack Barresse

Well, I would want to know if it was just the one file, if it acted the same on another machine, or if it's any file on that machine. Need to narrow it down first. Not saying the Personal.xls isn't corrupt, sure it happens, but we still can't preclude anything else yet I don't think.

7. slurpee55

slurpee55

True - I assumed "p.xls" in post 4 was the Personal.xls folder, but it isn't clear about whether it is one workbook, all, upon opening a workbook or just opening Excel, etc.

8. thurbaluva

I copied all the VBA to notepad so I'll be able to recreate the modules...but even starting with a "fresh" PERSONAL.xls, it still has the same error. Hrm. I've heard help > detect and repair won't work...

(earlier when I put p.xls, I was being lazy btw...sorry 'bout that)

9. Zack Barresse

Zack Barresse

Can you post the file in question?

10. thurbaluva

thank you.

11. Zack Barresse

Zack Barresse

You haven't really told us much here, so we're not going to do much for you. In fact I'm not going to do anything for you. If you would like help, please post exactly what you did to get the error, the exact steps, and describe it as much as possible. If you can't upload a picture, which I am not sure why you wouldn't be able to, just describe it explicitly. If you want help, we need more information.

You can always reinstall the application. Don't know if Detect and Repair will work, if it's a corrupt installation then it might, but it'd be worth a shot. Was this a straight-forward installation? The only version on this machine? Have you tried opening in Safe Mode? Do you have any add-ins installed? More info needed...

12. thurbaluva

I'm sorry I appreciate the help, but I don't want to do anything that'll get me in trouble here.
    thanks guys

13. Zack Barresse

Zack Barresse

I'm sorry, what is going to get you in trouble? And with whom?

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/876163

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice