1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Excel 2003 Cell Size Changes in Windows 7

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by mgross, Nov 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mgross

mgross Thread Starter

Loaded Excel 2003 onto Window 7 64 bit system. All of the cells in all of my spreadsheets and any new spreadsheets are now taller and narower instead of the standard rectangle. How can I go back to the default size?

OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 42 Stepping 7
    Processor Count: 8
    RAM: 16363 Mb
    Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 6850, 1024 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 1893758 MB, Free - 1719260 MB; D: Total - 13867 MB, Free - 1710 MB; E: Total - 953867 MB, Free - 583330 MB; L: Total - 953867 MB, Free - 806955 MB;
    Motherboard: PEGATRON CORPORATION, 2AB5
    Antivirus: McAfee Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware, Updated and Enabled

2. Zack Barresse

Zack Barresse

Hi there, welcome to the board!

Did you change your display settings? This is where I'd look first, to make sure your aspect ratio is 'normal'. Also, you can edit your Book.xls and it will change the default workbook when you create a new one. Are you sure they're indeed smaller and doesn't just look smaller? What is the column width? If you right click a column header and select Column Width, what does it say? And the same for the rows on Row Height?

3. mgross

mgross Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply Zack. Nothing wrong with the display settings. The cells are more square than rectangular. The height is 17.25 and the width is 9.25. If I look at a spreadsheet in Excel 2010 starter the height is 15 and the width is 8.43. These look rectangular. The cells in Excel 2003 after the install on the new Win 7 machine look more square. The same thing happened on another computer. Excel 2003 installed after an upgrade to Win 7 and the cells on that machine are now changed.

4. Zack Barresse

Zack Barresse

That's odd indeed! I've never heard of that off a default installation. A workaround would be to create the workbook you want to see when you open Excel. Make your cell width/height what you want. Save the file to:

C:\Users\Your User Name\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Excel\XLSTART

This is a hidden folder so you will need to have that enabled.* Save it as Book.xltx, or .xltm if you want a macro-enabled workbook to be your default. When you open Excel this will open a new workbook based on that template.

* To view hidden files, open any folder, hit your Alt key, select Tools, Folder Options, View tab, select Show hidden files, folders and drives.

HTH

5. mgross

mgross Thread Starter

Thanks Zack! It would appear that that would fix new work-books. However, I think it would leave legacy spreadsheets in the new (unwanted format). I have been working in Office since it became available and have never run into anything like this when doing an upgrade. To date I have spent at least 20 hours trying to fix this. Any ideas will be gratefully evaluated and implemented. Again my thanks for the time you spent ontrying to solve this problem. I am curious; have any other members experienced this unwanted issue

MGR.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1025486

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice