1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Excel 2003 Chart not updating till I save and reopen

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by supercyndi, Mar 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. supercyndi

supercyndi Thread Starter

Hi,
    I have many charts embedded into a worksheet, linking to cells on another worksheet, in the same workbook. The are pointing to the correct data source, the option setting is set to automatic updates, and using the F9 function key, does not work. It will update when I save close, and reopen the document. This is on a buissiness network, and should not have virus.
    Any help greatly appreciated, this is driving me crazy

2. Yorkshire Guy

Yorkshire Guy

Hi supercyndi,

By Charts you don't mean Pivot Tables do you? These do not refresh automatically when the source data changes (auto in this case is as you describe, when the workbook is re-opened).

For Charts, if you have overtyped Labels or source data then you need to reestablish the links to the source data again (right click and choose source data, agree to selection).

hth
    Hew

3. exegete

exegete

Howdy, Cyndi. It might be that your calc option has changed. Go to Tools > Options > "Calculation" (second tab). Check whether it is "Automatic" or "Manual". I suspect that it is set to Manual. If so, change it to Automatic.

4. supercyndi

HEWANM,
    The chart is linked to a pivot table, but is not a pivot tabe chart, would this be the same?

exegete
    Thank you for your suggestions, the calculation option is set to automatic.

5. Yorkshire Guy

Yorkshire Guy

Hi supercyndi,

Yes, you have a Pivot table so must take an action yourself to REFRESH IT from the source data, this does not happen automatically but can be set to REFRESH upon openeing your s/s's as you noticed.

Do you know how to record a macro and assign it to a button on your s/s?
    If so, record yourself doing this:
    click anywhere in the 1st pivot table, right-click and select REFRESH, click on the 2nd pivot table,......stop recording when you have done this for all pivot tables.

Assign that Macro to a button.

Click on the Button anytime to refresh ALL tables.

HTH
    Hew

6. supercyndi

Thanks so much, I figured it was something along those lines, I do know how to record the macro, and I am going to set it up now, thanks so much for your help:D

7. Zack Barresse

Zack Barresse

8. yihbag

yihbag

i am not using a Pivot table, but i am still having the same problem, where my charts will not get updated until i close, save, and reopen my excel sheet. i am using macros to update my data though, could that be part of my problem. even, if i do a manual recalculation of my sheets, my chart remain unchanged! i am at a lost?

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/452298

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice