1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Excel 2003 freezing

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by ptm42, Jan 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ptm42

ptm42 Thread Starter

Running Office 2003 and XP. I'm having problems with the workbook freezing when I try to copy/paste anything. Only way to get out is control/alt/delete. Tried the repair function under help but to no avail. File works fine on the other computers. Any thoughts?

2. gyclone

gyclone

When you say "try to copy/paste anything", do you really mean even just 1 or 2 cells? Also, is this only on one file, or on any file you try to edit?

If a file is too big or complex for your system to handle, big clipboard operations especially formula cells, will frequently crash Excel. Some things that will help are:

• Turn off auto save
    • Turn off auto calculate (this can be the real killer if you're copying and pasting formulas, the system has to rewrite and recalculate everything you're pasting, based on the new locations)
    • Make sure Windows settings allow for Best Performance, rather than prettiest screen
    • Copy and Paste Special Values any cells that contain formulas that don't need to be recalculated frequently (this will dramatically reduce both the file size and the time needed to perform calculations {I store all my formulas in a row at the top of my spreadsheets and almost never leave live formulas in the data areas of my worksheets)
    • Close any non-critical programs running on your computer
    Those are the big things that will help. If you can give a little more information about the situation, a more specific solution may come to mind.

3. ptm42

ptm42 Thread Starter

Just one page, with no formulas or numerical data entered. To be more specific, it hangs when I try an auto fill -- for example, typing 1, 2,3, then dragging down to complete a 31-day month. It locks up, then I get a program not responding message in the header.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/975445

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice