1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Excel 2003, Vista

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by daffer, Apr 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. daffer

daffer Thread Starter

I am writing a spreadsheet and I need to have at the end of two rows a single box with a function to add the aggregate results of the two rows. The box is square and made up of four cells. I can easily put the result in any of the four cells, but how do you get the result in the centre of the box.

Daffer

2. MRdNk

MRdNk

Select your four cells, right click, select Format cells, tick Merge cells, on Horizontal select "Center" (centre), on Vertical select "Center" and click OK.

The value will be centred in the centre of the four cells.

I'm pretty sure this is what your asking for, if not then please add a little more information on what exact you want to do.

3. daffer

daffer Thread Starter

Thank you MRdNk

That works as you knew it would. To think I spent half a day messing about with text boxes etc.

Watch this space because I'm sure to get stuck again.

Daffer

4. MRdNk

MRdNk

OK

This button also merges the cells, although won't centre vertically for you, but can add vertical alignment buttons quite easily. ---->

Attached Files:

5. daffer

daffer Thread Starter

MRdNk

I have never noticed that button before. I tried a sample page and found to centre the text, just click on centre in the alignment box of the format menu.

Thanks again

Daffer

6. MRdNk

MRdNk

You can vertical align buttons to the toolbar which is very useful if you use it a lot. That's the way I always setup Excel - work / home etc. - Very Useful.

7. Zack Barresse

Zack Barresse

Hello there, welcome to the board!

May I ask why? Merging cells can cause huge headaches down the road. They should be a last resort only. I can probably count on my hands how many times I've used merged cells in the last 4 years.

8. MRdNk

MRdNk

Zack's got a point, I generally don't bother with merged cells either, instead opt for centre across selection, as noted it causes issues.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/703070

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice