1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Excel 2007 cant open xlsx files

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by joecruz36, Oct 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. joecruz36

joecruz36 Thread Starter

Hi, I have excel 2007 and can't open .xlsx files

2. mcoliver88

mcoliver88

have you installed the updates from microsoft office, if the file was created in office 2003 there is a file you can download from microsoft to read these extensions

3. Zack Barresse

Zack Barresse

@mcoliver88: with 2007 you don't need the compatibility pack, as the file extensions are native to Excel.

I would check the default programs list, make sure Excel is still set as the default for your .xlsx and similar file extensions. Can you open Excel and create a new file and save it in that extension? Can you open other file extensions, i.e. xlsm, xlsb?

4. mcoliver88

mcoliver88

@Zack Barresse

o thats something they must have changed, because when office 2007 came out i could never read 2003 files and have to download the pack. Thanks ill keep that in mind

5. Zack Barresse

Zack Barresse

No, it wasn't changed. If that is the case with you, something else was going on. 2007 has always been able to open 2003 files, just not the other way around.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/956638