1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Excel 2007 "configures" itself *every* time I run it

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by CluelessInSeattl, Mar 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CluelessInSeattl

CluelessInSeattl Thread Starter

First Name:
    Will
    I'm using a hand-me-down PC running Windows 7 and Office 2007, both installed by the previous user. Every time I tried to run Word or Excel I would get a time consuming of series messages and screens starting with stdole32.tlb:
    [​IMG]

Followed by "Please wait while setup prepares the necessary files:
    [​IMG]
    And then an interminable progress bar that feels like it takes ten minutes to complete (and this happens every time I run Excel:
    [​IMG]
    I was able to find a fix for this problem in running Word 2007. But I haven't been able to fix Excel 2007.

I have a brand new, unopened copy of Office Professional 2007, so I'm thinking that perhaps the easiest way to solve this problem would be to just completely uninstall all traces of the current Office installation, and then try installing this other version.

But before I do that, I'd like to check to see if anyone reading this might know of a straight-forward fix that a non-techie like myself could safely execute.

I found a handful of threads relating to this problem in this forum, but they either use jargon I don't understand or peter out before the problem is solved, e.g.:

http://forums.techguy.org/business-applications/1116536-problem-opening-excel-word-office.html

So, I'd be grateful for help with either trying to fix the current Office 2007 installation, or in uninstalling it and installing a different version.

Will in Seattle
    a.k.a. "Clueless"

2. CleaverX

CleaverX

Go to the Programs and Features screen, scroll down to find the entry for MS Office 2007, select it then click on 'Change'. A smaller window will open and you will have the chance to Repair or Uninstall.
    Try to repair first, but that is contingent on the cashed installation files existing on the machine; you will know it they are not because you will be asked to install the original media. If that is the case, you may want to Uninstall, then buy your own license of Office 2013.

3. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

Take that as re-install.
    If you go into help in one of the current Office programs, does it give you the Licence Details??

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1145577

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice