1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Excel 2007 Copy & Paste between Workbooks Problem

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Pickles1980, Nov 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Pickles1980

Pickles1980 Thread Starter

Hi - This is a problem occurring at work.

We use Windows XP and Office 2007 (although our managers are on Office 2010, they have also experienced this same issue). We use two monitors, so we can use two programs side by side. One fairly common use is to have two instances of Excel open, one on each monitor. We want to be able to copy a range of cells from one workbook to another. This sometimes works, but more often than not, on the second C&P action, the paste only selects the same range of cells, but pastes nothing.

I'm really hoping this question makes sense.

Can anyone suggest why this is happening? It is confusing in its inconsistency. :confused:

I can't think of any other technical information to provide, but if there is something extra that is needed to resolve this, please let me know and I will check when I get back to the office tomorrow morning.

Thanks!

2. HCD

HCD

When you paste - try paste special..it will give you greater control over content. Try all options and see results...loads of variables!! especially on 2010

3. Pickles1980

Hi - Paste Special isn't an option. It's greyed out.

I know the data is still on the clipboard, because I can paste it into another program entirely (Notepad in the case of my most recent experiment), but not back into the second instance of Excel.

Thanks for the suggestion though - got any others? :-D

4. HCD

HCD

I have read up on this and would add a first extra - try paste special...Values. Don't know the size of worksheet. The fact that it works with some and not others is down to the fact the Excel cannot handle more than 4,000 different combinations of cell formats. I can only point you towards this article at present.....let me know how it goes. H

5. Zack Barresse

Zack Barresse

Hello there, welcome to the board!

When you say you have two instances of Excel running, is it a true two instances, or do you have two workbooks open? Excel is different than most of the other Office applications in that it is designed to have a single application instance open, but multiple files (workbooks) may be open at once in that instance. Word, however, is different, and a new application instance is instantiated every time you open a file. It's referred to as a Multiple Document Interface (MDI), as opposed to a Single Document Interface (SDI). The easiest way to find this out is to look at the Ribbon for these workbooks. Do they share a common Ribbon interface, or do they have their own?

I'm not sure why you'd want to have dual instances of Excel running (if this is indeed what you are doing), and I'd recommend against it. There are problems which can arise if you do this. If you're in a single instance with multiple workbooks open, there may be other things we need to look at. I highly recommend keeping only one instance of Excel open at a time. I think this may alleviate the behavior you're seeing.

6. Pickles1980

Hi Zach,

Yes, it is definitely two separate instances (two individual ribbon icons). We use a custom built database (built in Progress) which exports reports into a brand new instance of Excel every single time. It is theoretically possible to save these reports and reopen them in a single instance, but this often goes wrong.

We use extended desktop and regularly need to utilise both screens in full to do data comparisons - is there another method that will work to use just a single instance (if we are able to solve the above issue)?

7. Pickles1980

Hi HCD

That's certainly helping with the formatting issues we've had - thank you very much!

8. Zack Barresse

Zack Barresse

If it's a custom built database, you should probably change how that works. Is there any way we can see the coding for it? We can amend that as well.

9. Pickles1980

Hi Zack
    We don't have access to any coding for the database I'm afraid.
    So, does this mean we are stuck stretching the Excel Window across both screens in order to do two full-screen comparisons?
    Thanks

10. Zack Barresse

Zack Barresse

That's really too bad. If the database is spawning two separate instances of Excel, I'd be willing to bet whoever created the database isn't using best practices in their coding. That really sucks for you. Unfortunately if you don't have access to changing the coding of the database, you're obviously stuck with multiple instances. I'm not sure of another workaround for you.

Recommendation: complain to whoever made your database.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1026012

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice