1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Excel 2007 file hangs when trying ot change formatting

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by fergy2106, Nov 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fergy2106

fergy2106 Thread Starter

Hey all

I have a user who has converted a xls to xlsx through Excel 2007. All is well in the file, no major formulas, macros etc. There are about 2500 rows of plain text and currenct cells in the file.

When user selects a cell (or mutiple) then tries to change the font, font size, color etc Excel hangs for 10-15 seconds for simgle cell and longer for mutiple cell selection.

• I turned off the Live Preview with no luck.
    • All users in office can access file fine but experience same issue when trying to change formatting.
    • Other files that open in compatability mode so not present this issue.
    • When i take a copy of the file i cannot replicate the issue in Excel 2003
    • Users profile reset
    • converted file (using compatability pack and agian using Excel itself) back to xls
    • copied all data out of file and created new xls by pasting
    • removed all printers apart from XPS document wiitter which i set as default (i understand HP drivers cause issues in Excel)
    Issue remains after each of the above were done.

My concern is that there are many xls files stored within the org and when we roll out office 2007 to entire org all users will get this issue once files have been converted. ALSO the delay is not at an acceptable duration within the organisation.

Machines have 1Gb Ram and experience no issues with performance in any other app, microsoft or otherwise. Min requirement for 2007 is 256 i believe (but i wouldnt like to work with this!)

My next line of thought is to restore the file back to a state before it was converted and assess the issue from there.

Any help or pointing in right direction of investigation would be greatly appreciated.

2. fergy2106

fergy2106 Thread Starter

Well this forum is about as useful as tits on a bull!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1027106

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice