excel 2007 won't open excel 4.0 macro

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

shidoran

Excel '07 won't open an "excel 4.0" macro (i.e. *.xlm file). I am one of a few users at work using excel 2007, I believe this file was made with excel 2000 or similar. When I had excel 2000 it opened fine, it's a common file on the network that everyone should be able to access, and everyone with excel 2000 can easily. So I know it's not the file. When I try and open it with excel 2007 I get that stupid error about the file being different to the extension.

I've tried registry edits and workarounds after scowering the net but nothing seems to fix it. All it does is display the error, then opens excel in the background without even a new worksheet. Excel isn't hanging, it just does nothing. Any ideas? :confused:

XLM was long ago replaced by VBA (with Excel 5 in 1993) and MS no longer really supports it (although I think they claim that they do, kinda, sorta.) So the only thing you can do, I think, is to make a copy of the xlm file and convert the xlm code in the copied file to VBA. Fortunately, I found a link that tells you how to do that:
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/excel/archive/2010/02/16/migrating-excel-4-macros-to-vba.aspx
(Look at the link at the bottom, too. But you will need to download that to an older PC, possibly.)
Now, assuming all goes well, this will give you two versions of the same file, but if everyone else has Excel 2000 (or later) then they will all be able to use the new VBA-based file, so you won't end up with two files that would lead to confusion.
Still, it looks to be a lot of work, so good luck!

On a final note, if you need this file done in VBA and you can't figure out how to redo it, make a post describing your needs - there are some amazing VBA coders on here.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online