1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Excel 2010 can't automatically open xls and xlsx

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Carldica, Feb 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Carldica

Carldica Thread Starter

Hi Guys,

this issue only happens to 1/2 dozen of my PC out of 150, i don't what cause it and how to solve it. had tried /regserver and adding ExtensionHardening registry to each of the PC registry to no avail. tried the open with option, redirect it to excel.exe in office14, checked the always use this program check box, yet no avail. tried repairing...no avail too.

these 1/2 dozen PC, can't open any excel extension just by 2x clicking the file. they're all using office2010. OS: XP SP3.

any lead someone?

2. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again

I understand that double clicking doesn't work but will the workbook open if you manually open Excel and use FILE >> OPEN??

If this is the case you may need to adjust one of your settings inside Excel. To do this click the File tab, and then click Options. Click Advanced, and then look for the setting to "Ignore other applications" and uncheck it.

Rollin

3. Zack Barresse

Zack Barresse

Hi,

I'm curious of your Windows file extensions, and if those are still associated with Microsoft Excel? And if you change it and change it back (to Excel), does it change the behavior? Like Rollin, I'm curious if it's an Excel issue, or a Windows issue. From a 50,000 ft view it appears to be a Windows issue, but not sure yet. Is there anything specific about these 6 computers? Are you running on a domain (I'm assuming), and do these people have administrative or power user privileges? Do they have specific antivirus running? If so, does it help to disable it and reset the extension properties through Windows?

4. Carldica

Carldica Thread Starter

hi team,

sorry for my late reply, i had meeting aboard and have no time to open the thread, i'll conduct what rollin had suggested, will be back today.

as for zack, yes, i'm using domain, and i had given the 'power user' right to the users. but to no avail. we're still using Symantec Corp edition, we haven't change to SEP. and also i had tried to disable the auto scan but still have to use the OPEN menu in excel-home to open any file.

will keep you updated guys, thanks alot for the input.

5. Carldica

Carldica Thread Starter

i had checked the 'ignore other application that use DDE' and the check button is already unchecked. now, i tried to check it, and tried, but no avail, then i tried to uncheck, but no avail as well.

tried as well reinstalling the 2010 office, T_T no avail as well.

6. Carldica

Carldica Thread Starter

oh yeah also, though i 2x clicking the files, it won't open the workbook.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/979976

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice