1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Excel 2010 crashes when using 'justify' and merged cells

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Torchwood, Jul 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Torchwood

Torchwood Thread Starter

Using Microsoft Office Proffessional Plus 2010 on a Windows 7 Enterprise SP1 64-bit laptop ...

I wonder if anyone else has seen this crash? I searched Google but didn't spot anything relevant.

+ Open new blank workbook
    + Select a few cells in a row (e.g. B2:E2)
    + Merge-and-centre
    + Type some text into the merged cell
    + Click Fill/Justify on the ribbon
    + Error message pops up: Cannot change part of merged cell
    + Click OK to acknowledge the error

At this point Excel crashes instantly; no backup files are saved. I just lost a load of work ... very annoying.

I don't suppose there is a fix, but was just curious to see if anyone else can repeat this on their system.

2. 20_2_Many

20_2_Many

3. Torchwood

Torchwood Thread Starter

The error message doesn't really bother me - I'm used to that when dealing with merged cells, so not really a problem. Its the sudden and irretrievable crash that causes me problems!!

Do you have Excel 20_2_many? Can you duplicate my crash?

Ah - interesting; I doesn't crash on my home Netbook, which is running the same version of Office, but Windows 7 Starter SP1 ...

Oh well ... something obscure obviously.

4. 20_2_Many

20_2_Many

I was (happily) not able to duplicate the crash - but I did try to.

5. Glongoid

Glongoid

I found this thread as I was having a similar problem ... not idential to yours, but I can recreate yours.

My problem is described here (together with a fix): http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2475876 (look for the paragraph about 'justify').

It's possible - since the problems are similar - that the hotfix in the microsoft article may solve your problem. The crash looks the same for both problems (Excel just disappears, data lost, no warning, PC continues to behave OK)

I have MS Office 2010 Professional Plus, 32-bit v14.0.6106.5005 running on a 64-bit machine with Windows 7 Enterprise v6.1.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1061719