1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Excel 2010 Find and Replace:Value " as default"

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by COLLINSM45, Jan 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. COLLINSM45

COLLINSM45 Thread Starter

OS Version: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium, Service Pack 2, 64 bit
    Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q8200 @ 2.33GHz, Intel64
    Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 3600 Series, 256 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 595055 MB,
    Motherboard: Dell Inc., 0TP406
    Antivirus: Norton 360 Premier Edition

EXCEL 2010: Find and Replace

When using this dialog box, I can click find tab and enter 99.90 to find, select "within:sheet", select "search:By Row", select "Lookin:Value" Note, choice for lookin:[ formula, comment, value].
    Search results, found 28 entries.

Now the problem, I can click replace tab and enter 104.90 to Replace, select "within:sheet", select "search: By Row", select "LOOKIN: "WANT VALUE" But "FORMULA" IS THE ONLY SELECTION". Where did the "VALUE" SELECTION GO? as a result, Message, "Microsoft excel cannot find the data you're searching for". I am looking for a number not in a formula. Do Anyone know how to make "VALUE" the default selection instead of "FORMULA" or just how to make replace work? A tweaking for dummies answer would be great.

2. Garf13LD

Garf13LD

You can use "Match entire cell contents" to exclude formulas.
    Say you have 1234.56 in 2 cells.
    One is formatted as General, the other is formatted as Comma Style.
    If you find by formula, you get 2 results.
    If you find by value, you get only 1 result.
    Therefore, "in value term", 1234.56 not equals to 1,234.56.
    If you are finding a range of values, then you need helper columns or use macro.

3. COLLINSM45

COLLINSM45 Thread Starter

Thanks for your help.
    I didn't notice the change in [find] results using "Match entire cell contents", however find tweak isn't my problem, "Replace" will not replace data found on worksheet because "FORMULA" is the type listed in text
    drop-down-list. I can't select "VALUE" because it's not listed in dialog box. I want to learn a way to control the
    drop-down-list; that way I can choose the lookin selection from list, which is value, formula or comment.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1084112

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice