1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Excel 2010 ProblemsI have been getting the following errors in Excel 2010 for about 3

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Rich1039, Oct 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Rich1039

Rich1039 Thread Starter

I have been getting the following errors in Excel 2010 for about 3 months and they are getting more frequent (I have Win 7 Pro):

(1) Errors were detected while saving 'C:\Users\username\Documents\filename.xlsx'.
    Microsoft Excel may be able to save the file by removing or repairing some
    features. To make the repairs in a new file, click Continue. To cancel saving the
    file, click Cancel.
    (2) Cannot open the Clipboard.
    (3) An unexpected error has occurred. AutoRecover has been disabled for this session of Excel.
    (4) Excel has stopped working.
    (5) Freezes on print preview.

I have done the following:
    - Tried Excel in safe mode.
    - Uninstalled and Reinstalled Office 2010.
    - Disabled all add-ins.
    - Done an exhaustive search on the internet only to find that other people have one or more of these errors, but no solutions.
    - Other Office 2010 apps work ok.

Nothing has worked. I’m barely able to get anything done! Please help, I’m dying here!

2. MikeYew

MikeYew

I don't have a solution, but you are not alone. Your forum post describes exactly the kind of problems I have had with Excel ever since I installed Office 2010.
    • Sometimes a small change (changing the color of the font in one cell) will make it impossible to save a spreadsheet.
    • Sometimes I can open a spreadsheet from the Start menu, but not from an open Excel session.
    • Sometimes the clipboard cannot be opened
    • Etc.
    I wish I knew what to try...

3. Rich1039

Rich1039 Thread Starter

Thanks for replying, Mike. I'm at my wit's end. I also tried reinstalling my HP printer driver to no avail. These problems started to occur with me about Aug. 2010, I think. I haven't installed anything. It may have something to do with a Windows or Office update, just guessing. I may have to call Microsoft ($) to get "maybe" an answer. If you hear of anything , please let me know...and I'll do the same.

I'll add your list to mine since I have experienced them, too. One more: When doing a "save as" Excel freezes.

4. Keebellah

Keebellah Hans Trusted Advisor

Have you checked the XLSSTART folder in the Program Files folder?

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office12

Maybe there is a file there, any file there will be exceuted when opening Excel.
    You could even have saved a recorded macro in your Personal.xlsx

This file is also stored in the XLSTART folder

5. Rich1039

Rich1039 Thread Starter

I have Office 2010 64-bit. In Program Files/Microsoft Office/ Office14, the XLSSTART folder is empty. I appreciate your thoughts though!

6. Keebellah

Keebellah Hans Trusted Advisor

Okay, but I do think that there is an equivalent of Personal.xlst stored somewhere (if it's present).
    You could search for it, when you open a new sheet and open the VBA editor you should see it in the list if it's present.
    If not, then there is something else, and that really is a problem.
    Microsoft builds real big haystacks ! :(

7. Rich1039

Rich1039 Thread Starter

I did a search for Personal.xlst. It doesn't exist. I had no such problems with Office 2007, or when I first installed Office 2010. Thanks for replying.

8. MikeYew

MikeYew

I searched my computer, and found no folder named "xlsstart" and no files with the extension ".xlst" Any other ideas?

Thanks,
    MikeYew

9. Zack Barresse

Zack Barresse

The folder is hidden. And your Personal file is probably going to be a .xlsb extension, not a template extension (xlst). What is the hardware you're running this on? I have 2010 x64 and haven't had any of these problems, and can't duplicate any of them.

Can you show the clipboard with Alt + E, B?

And you're up to date on all of your Windows updates?

10. Rich1039

Rich1039 Thread Starter

Zack, I see 3 .xlsb files, one of which will open. It's an old unsaved file that will open. The other 2 are $IWKRFIP.xlsb and $RWKRFIP.xlsb, what ever they are, and when I try to open them, they display the "properties" screen. There is no personal.xlsb file. "Can you show the clipboard with Alt + E, B?"...yes.

System Specs:

Dell XPS410 Intel Core 2 6600 @ 2.40 MHz
    4 Gb ram
    Microsoft Windows 7 Pro x64
    Microsoft Office 2010 Pro Plus x64

Windows and Office are up to date.

11. Zack Barresse

Zack Barresse

Those may be partial files. I don't trust the names though. I would hold select the file, hold the Shift key and double click the file. That will open the file without firing any auto open macros. Do the files open normally that way?

Did you check the default files list? Click your Windows button and select the Default Programs link on the right. Click the Associate a file type or protocol with a program button. Once the list populates, scroll down until you see the Excel extensions, i.e. xlsx, xlsb, xlsm, etc. Make sure they're associated with Microsoft Excel.

12. MikeYew

MikeYew

I searched and didn't find any files with that extension.

I am running an HP Pavilion desktop, 2.67 Gighertz Intel Core 2 Duo. The OS is Windows 7 Home Premium. The trouble started when I installed Office 2010 - under Office 2007 no such problems.

13. Zack Barresse

Zack Barresse

Take a look at the picture file I uploaded. You're saying you do not see the highlighted file extension at all?

Attached Files:

14. Rich1039

Rich1039 Thread Starter

$IWKRFIP.xlsb and $RWKRFIP.xlsb will not open even with the shift key. It appears they might be backup files, but won't open. I took a look at them in a hex editor and they are empty. All file associations are correct.

15. MikeYew

MikeYew

Zack:

I find those file types in the list you highlighted, and I have quite a few .xlsx files - what I don't find are any .xlsb files. None that I have found.

Mike

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/956368