1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Excel 2013 First Row is Missing

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Kolias, Feb 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Kolias

Kolias Thread Starter

That’s new to me and can’t find any answers on the web. The attached snip is from a workbook I made a few months back and all was ok but now as you can see the first row looks like its missing because there are labels on that row which I can’t see.

In addition, the heavy vertical black lines are not mine (when I click on them it says “Oval Object #...” and there are 2 vertical rectangles which are not mine either.

The only explanation I can give is perhaps an update from MS change all that

If I copy this workbook as an Excel.xls and view it on my other laptop which has Excel 2000 all is normal and copying this normal workbook and open it with my Excel 2013 the same strange things happen again

Any idea how I can recover my original

Attached Files:

2. jimr381

jimr381

First Name:
    Jim
    Unfortunately it looks like you are having a conversion issue, and the compatibility pack was only in Office 2003 and later. I am guessing that you are having conversion issue. Do you have a PC that has 2003, and on which you can install the compatibility pack? Also it looks like you are doing a flowchart. Have you thought about using Vision instead?

3. Kolias

Kolias Thread Starter

You are right Jim, its compatibility issue but I have Office 2013 for more than 1 year now and that file I use it before (edit / add) and all was ok.

Why to install a compatibility pack in an old PC (which I have with Excel 2000) and not on my current one with Excel 2013?
    Where do I get the right compatibility pack?

I don’t know about Vision but searching I noticed they been bought by Cube software. In any case I don’t want to purchase / learn a new software because I’m happy with Excel, for my purpose it does a nice job

Thanks for your time
    Nicolas

4. jimr381

jimr381

First Name:
    Jim
    The compatibility pack allows you to save the file as a different version. I was wondering if it would function better if you did the conversion from the native application prior to opening it in 2013.

Sorry about the mistype, autocorrect messed me up, the application is called Visio, and it is a great tool for doing flowcharts, org charts, network diagrms, floorplans, mind mapping, etc.

5. Kolias

Kolias Thread Starter

Thanks again Jim, yes it is better to do the change in another PC and I will search to find the pack
    The MS Visio looks a very good program but pricey for my needs
    Nicolas

6. draceplace

draceplace

The attached excel jpg looks to be a hybrid of different legacy objects.
    first try 'pinning the ribbon' to see the top row. 2013 has annoying feature that lets the ribbon drop down over the 1st row unless its 'pinned'.

You might try the 'save as' option and see if saving as 2000-2003 helps.

If you have data in some on these save the legacy documents as csv then open with modern excel. Of course you would loose formulas, formatting and such but the data should be intact.

7. Kolias

Kolias Thread Starter

I'm sorry that I spent my money to get Office Student 2013 because I find it almost uselss and totally confusing. In comparison offise 2000 which I have been using for a very long time was and is an exellent stable software and I was able to do almost everything with my keyboard - office 2013 has limited or non existant keyboard capabilities

I tried many options to correct the problem and the usless ribbon is not the cause. I agree with Jim that it is a compatibility issue and I will not get the compatibility pack because daily I work with both of my laptos thru my home network, the older with office 2000 and the newer one witrh office 2013

Thanks draceplace for your time

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1166548

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice