1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Excel 2K calculation problem...

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by mcseguy9, Dec 10, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mcseguy9

mcseguy9 Thread Starter

I have a user who says that, on occasion, when she puts in numbers for a simple calculation, like SUM, when she goes to sum them the formula doesn't work. There's nothing wrong with the formula. I've checked and re-checked. The formula is fine. I've checked in Tools>>Options and the file is set to calculate automatically.

When I opened the file up on my PC it acted the same way, but when I re-entered the values into the appropriate fields the calculation kicked in and worked properly. Any idea what's causing this and how to fix it?

2. Rockn

Rockn

Are you trying to calculate the values on a field that has a formula in it as opposed to a numeric value?

3. mcseguy9

mcseguy9 Thread Starter

it's setup like this. there are 4 columns and 5 rows. column D has the values in it. so the values are in d1 thru d4, with the calculation being in d5. so the function is supposed to calculate the values in d1-d4 - =sum(d1:d4) - and it's not working unless you re-enter the values. hope this helps and thx for teh quick response.

4. Rockn

Rockn

Are there values in A5 - D5? or is that a blank row and just D5 does the calculation? Look at the formulas in D1-D4....do they correspond correctly to the row they are associated with or not.

5. mcseguy9

mcseguy9 Thread Starter

the only values are in column D, d1-d4. The rest are filled with text for descriptive purposes. Kinda like this:

blah blah blah 5
    blah blah blah 27
    blah blah blah 108
    blah blah blah 43
    total =sum(d1:d4)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/61304

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice