Excel 97 Default Workbook/Sheets

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

dmcclure

It seems to me that I used to be able to set up my own default Excel books and worksheets. I would set formats, toolbars, footers, etc. the way I liked them then save the sheet as “sheet1.xlt” and the workbook as “book1.xlt”, and put these in the XLstart folder. That way, when I opened a new workbook, or inserted a new sheet, the sheets are formatted they way I want them. But that doesn’t seem to work now. I’m using Excel 97 and Win XP. Before I was using Excel 97 and Win98. Did I miss a cog somewhere? It’s been a long time since I did this and perhaps I missed a step.

Don

Hi Don,

You're almost there!

The default workbook must be called book.xlt and not book1.xlt

That should solve your problem.

Anne Troy

Anne
And you don't save a sheet1.xlt--there is no such thing.

Just right-click on sheet1 of a blank file, hit Select all sheets. Format as desired. Save the file as book1.xlt in the XLSTART. Close Excel and relaunch to test.

(Hi mikey!)

Hi Dreamy,

Can I re-confirm that the book needs to be saved as Book.xlt and not book1.xlt

Tres important and the cause of much frustration.

dmcclure

The correct name is book.xlt. Furthermore, if there is more than one sheet in your book be sure all are formatted the way you want them. For example, if you want your own footer to appear on each sheet you must add it to each sheet, then save the template. Also, if you want Inserted sheets to be set up the same way, then go to Save As and save "sheet.xlt". It works just like book.xlt in that it saves your settings for inserted sheets. One other thing: My Excel default for saving Excel templates is "Microsoft Office/Templates". Unfortunately, Excel looks for its templates in "Microsoft Office/Office/XLStart". Be sure and save your Excel templates there.

Don

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online