1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Excel 97 + Pivot Tables = Corrupt File

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by RU469, Feb 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. RU469

RU469 Thread Starter

I hope someone can help me here,

I am running Windows XP Pro here at work. We have Excel 97 (don't ask, we're one of the largest banks in the world).

Over the last couple of weeks I started to use pivot tables in very large files (about 20 meg). I am able to use them for a bit until all of the sudden they are corrupt.

The error I am receiving says "unable to read file".

Can anyone help me here? I think this is a pivot table issue because the last time this happened our DSS (computer group) group loaded it in Excel 2003 but the Pivot tables were corrupt and lost. This file is on my PC (new) hard drive (space issues on the LAN) and they can not access it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. ChuckE

ChuckE

See if "Help>Detect and Repair" exists.

Sometimes, and this happened to me a couple times, Excel gets befuddled with itself. I would be able to work with an Excel doc for a few cells, then it "crashes"

Detect and Repair fixed it for me.

3. RU469

RU469 Thread Starter

I looked at all of the help available here but none seem to address my concern.

I am unable to even open the file.

4. coachdan32

coachdan32

If you are unable to open, you probably need to pull a copy from backup that you are able to open.

5. RU469

RU469 Thread Starter

Well,

Since this file is on my hard drive and not on a shared network drive (no space) there is no backup.

Does anyone know if this is a known issue? If so could you point me to some documentation? I would love to use it in an arguement to get Office 2003 or XP.

Thanks

6. ChuckE

ChuckE

How about the documentation about making backups? :)

It doesn't matter what sort of setup you have; having only a local drive, using network drives, or even keeping your files on a removable medium (floppy, CD R/W, flash drive, etc.), there is no reason you could not have spent a few minutes each day to back up your own data files.

I hope you are able to get your file back and fixed, but one way or the other, it is a lesson learned.

7. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

There are severe file size and resource limits under Office 97, I suspect you are running into them at 20 MB if a lot of formulas are used (as with Pivot Tables).

They were not really removed until Office 2003.

Recently I had to upgrade to 2003 to get around the problem of inability to use Excel files above about 40 MB in Office XP. Now I can handle 200 MB, with patience.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/330934

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice