1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Excel 97- Protection of data

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by shaygate, Jan 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shaygate

shaygate Thread Starter

STOP PRESS - After i wrote this I went back and had another play and found the 'lock' function for cells which when used alongside the worksheet protection does exactly what i wanted it too !
    Ian

A long time ago when i first started using spreadsheets I used a simple package called SuperCalc 4, one of the functions it allowed me to do was 'protect' from change (editing) specific cells, rows and / or columns.

I can't seem to get Excel to do the same, it seems only able to provide crude protection to whole sheets or offer tracking of changes unless of course you know better ! ;)

(Just for interest, what I am doing is sending worksheets out to home based staff, on the sheet is information such as client names, tasks visit dates, reports to typing and so on. I want them to be able to input dates and comments but not change client names, tasks and so on. I used to print the sheets and fax them out but we are trying to move into the e mail age now !)

Any suggestions greatfuly received !

Ian

2. itsmeitsmeitsme

itsmeitsmeitsme

1. select the whole worksheet
    2.choose format,cells to open format cells dialog box
    3.click the protection tab and deselect the locked option,click ok
    4.now select the range youwant to protect
    5.choose format cells again and protection and check the locked box and then ok
    6. choose tools,protection,protect sheet and then ok

Now when you go to the cells you will not be able to put info in the areas you previously selected.

hope this helps

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/115876

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice