1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

excel, again!

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by ckaas, Sep 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ckaas

ckaas Thread Starter

wow, i'm really getting hooked on excel! i do need however a bit more help. i have a cell:

=(C2)&(D2)

where C2 and D2 are two text values. what i would like would be to be able to have C2 and D2 on different lines, in the same cell, so that it woul look like:

C2
    D2

How can i do this? cheers,

Christian K.

2. MsPCGenius

MsPCGenius

I don't know how to force a hard return -- and would like to know, but here's a band-aid fix for what you are trying to accomplish:

Use the formula =C2&" "&D2 as this will put a space between your two pieces of information. Then, you can use (cell alignment) Wrap Text along with minimal column width to see D2 display under C2.

If there is a way to program a hard return between the " " in the above formula, you'll have just what you want :) (and won't have to worry about wrapping text or column width).

3. XL Guru

XL Guru

=C2&char(10)&D2

You'll need Wrap Text turned on (Format -- Cells -- Alignment).

Rgds,
    Andy

4. CastleHeart

CastleHeart

Good evening XLG;

What is the logic behind wrapping with a CHAR(10) (why does it do dat?) - and why is the null character displayed for CHAR10 when it is not wrapped yet not displayed once you wrap the text ?

by the by.... a rather neat way to achieve the results without dependency on column width.
    "I am learnt something today!"

;)

-Castleheart

5. XL Guru

XL Guru

>> (why does it do dat?)

Couldn't say CH ; if I looked it up I'd probably get some arcane techie answer along the lines of "Char(13) is the ANSI (American National Standards Institute) character code for a linefeed", then my head would hurt. However, this may be of interest ...

... y'all know ALT+0188 = ΒΌ ? Try

=CHAR(ROW())

in a top-row cell & drag down to R255. The row # preceded by a zero or two = your ALT codes.

Rgds,
    Andy

6. mrwendal

mrwendal

Good tip there XLG !

7. XL Guru

XL Guru

Cheers MrW, feedback from a compatriot is especially appreciated. <bg>

At the risk of being slapped for threadbusting, re: your marginless printing query ; I've a new photoprinter that allegedly prints "borderless". Inserting a table in a Word doc then setting the margins to zero all round still gives a couple of mm gap down the left, a couple more down the right, and a fair gap at the bottom. You'd probably need a huge spec m/c to do it perfectly -- a print bureau perhaps?

Rgds,
    Andy

8. mrwendal

mrwendal

hmmm.... "huge spec m/c", you say?

Looking at the machine i'm using, what harm can a little bit of white space around the edge do anyway!!!!!

Thanks again Andy

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/165436

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice