1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Excel and sorting

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by carolynw, Nov 15, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. carolynw

carolynw Thread Starter

I have a user with an Excel spreadsheet that has us both confused (easily done for me!). Someone sent it to him and when he tried to print it (it is a form for inputting data) - he got 222 pages, instead of one. He sent it to me and when I viewed it in page break preview, all of what looked like columns off to the right of the main form, were additional pages - all 221 of them. I have tried various methods of deleting them, none of them worked. What happens when I delete some of them is that some of the columns in the actual form disappear. Since I didn't develop the form, and neither did my user, we are confused. If anyone would like to look at the file, I would be more than happy to send it - and as always, thank you, thank you, thank you for your assistance!

2. Rockn

Rockn

The solid lines of the page break preview are the printable area and the dotted ones are there the breaks are. It's pretty easy to fix, just place the pointer over the line....click and hold the left button down and drag the line to where you want it. Sounds like no one checked the page breaks before they sent it to you.

3. carolynw

carolynw Thread Starter

Rockn,

Thank you for your speedy response - unfortunately I had already tried that and it didn't work. But just to be on the cautious side, I tried it again and it still didn't work - when I looked at the preview, it still showed the same number of pages, even after I moved the lines and should have eliminated at least 10 pages. It just isn't playing by the rules! :)

4. carolynw

carolynw Thread Starter

Okay, I'm trying this again and if I start at the far right side and drag the line, I am eliminating the columns. I tried this the other day and it worked to a certain page number, then it messed up the form. But I will try it again and see what happens this time. Is there any other way than one page at a time. This is 222 pages and it is a slow process, one page at a time. If that is the only option, then you will find me at the spreadsheet if you need me! Thanks again!

5. Gram123

Gram123

Go to the first cell containing data and drag to select all cells containing data.
    When they're selected go to File, Print Area, Set Print Area.
    You will then see a dashed line surrounding the data.

Go to Print Preview before you print and make sure the page count is more sensible!

HTH
    Gram

6. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Carolyn:

send to [email protected]

I'll clean it up and tell you how I did it. I do this all the time.

7. Max19

Max19 Account Disabled

Dreamboat, it might be more helpful for everyone at TSG if you would describe how to fix a problem rather than collect documents, format them, and send them back to the user. This is a forum for sharing ideas and information. It's not a personal business recruitment center.

8. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Actually, Max, it's a whole lot faster for the person with the problem if I can fix it.

You might also want to read the last statement in Carolyn's original post. This indicates to me that's she anxious for a fix.

9. jbcalg

jbcalg

this is fairly common in excel and is a good way to practice your doc formating - 2 simple steps

1. gram's way works - you've set your print area - it will use default settings - look at page preview

2. next step - once your print area is set, then format/adjust options

go to:
    file
    page set up

on page tab: scaling - 2 options
    see what % is set, adjust
    OR
    adjust the 'fit to' #pages x #pages

make sure one or the other of those options are ticked off, then press ok

then play around till it makes sense based on the intent of the form - ie what is it supposed to look like, how many pages is it supposed to be with 222 columns

...and please don't send it to me LOL

10. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Here's what I emailed back to carolyn after fixing the file as a list of what was "wrong" with it:

Printing was set up to be centered vertically. Not good with a document that has headings and columns. (File-Page Setup-Margins tab)
    Printing was set up to repeat the first 42 rows at the top on every page. (File-Page Setup-Sheet tab)
    Printing was set up to repeat the first 10 columns at the right on every page.
    Top and bottom margins were smaller than header and footer margins (the header text needs enough room to fit between the measurement of the header margin and the top margin--likewise the footer text between the bottom margin and footer margin); this causes header and footer to print "on top" (not above or below) the spreadsheet text. To calculate the space, subtract the header margin from the top margin, or subtract the footer margin from the bottom margin.
    The page setup needed to be "fit to 1 by..." If you're not sure how long your doc will be, you generally set the width to fit to 1, and you DELETE the value in the next box, don't leave a 1 in there.

11. carolynw

carolynw Thread Starter

Dreamboat et al,

Thank you for your help - I am grateful and will be working with my user to clear up these issues that you uncovered. As always, I am grateful for all your help - have a Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Carolyn

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/58667

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice