1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Excel and Word not playing well with Dropbox

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by mjalto, Jan 3, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. mjalto

mjalto Thread Starter

I have been a Dropbox user for many many years. I have Microsoft Office 2007 on my HP laptop. Over the last 2 days when I open a file at Dropbox.com or my laptop dropbox folder weird things happen. The word documents open Microsoft Configuration Process for Office 2007, then will open the document. This happens on all Word documents. On my Excel files, if I open them the excel program comes up but no file is opened.

I ran a repair on microsoft Office 2017. Same issues.

Below is my system info:

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 142 Stepping 9
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 12173 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics 620, 1024 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 916 GB (844 GB Free); D: 13 GB (1 GB Free); F: 1862 GB (1358 GB Free);
    Motherboard: HP, 8215
    Antivirus: Security Suite by F-Secure, Enabled and Updated

MetaWebIT likes this.
  2. mjalto

mjalto Thread Starter

Forgot to mention Office 365 is on my laptop, but I don't think it has every been activated. My laptop is a few years old.

3. MetaWebIT

MetaWebIT

I would definitely uninstall the Office 365 first just as a precaution.
    Do you have the original Office 2007 media and product key? If so, have it ready to reinstall.

If NOT, use Keyfinder from https://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/ to retrieve your product key (you can also print/save it from this program.)
    Once you have the product key, you can use it to download Office from https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/software-download/office

Remove Office 2007 fully by uninstalling it with Revo Uninstaller from https://www.revouninstaller.com/download-freeware-version.php
    Go through the wizard and remove all traces of the program using the ADVANCED option.

Then reinstall Office again.

Let us know if you have any more issues!
    Carl

4. mjalto

mjalto Thread Starter

I used Revo and uninstalled both 365 and Office 2007. I have my program files and key, so I reinstalled.

Word works correctly if I open Word, then open file in the dropbox folder on my desktop.

when I open Excel it get stdole32.tlb, then it opens the configuration process. Once the configuration process is done, I can open the file. But the configuration process occurs each time I open the program or an .xls file

5. MetaWebIT

MetaWebIT

6. mjalto

mjalto Thread Starter

Carl, same thing. Word is fine. Excel is still giving the stdole32.tlb message, then it opens the configuration process. If I let the configuration process complete, the file will open. If I cancel the configuration process, the file will open.

7. mjalto

mjalto Thread Starter

I found this on youtube.

it didn't get rid of the stdol32.tlb, but it did stop the configuration process from opening everytime I opened excel.

8. LeoLui

LeoLui

Have you tried to reinstall Dropbox?

9. mjalto

mjalto Thread Starter

I have. I think I have determined that it is an excel/microsoft issue. I get the message anytime I try to open an .xls file. Same message if I open from Dropbox, OneDrive and directly from my laptop.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1221357

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice