1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Excel and word wont open files

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by gordo7787, Jan 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gordo7787

gordo7787 Thread Starter

i am running win xp pro. i have office pro 2003 installed with all the latest updates. The problem comes when i try to open a word or excel file from my desktop or even one of my other drives. Meaning just being able to double-click on the document and having it open. When i do this the folder that the document is in wont respond. Then the folder freezes and i must use task manager to close the folder. Keep in mind that i DONT receive any error messages when double clicking the the file.
    i can however, go into start >programs >microsoft office > (word or excel) and open the program there, then open the document. but i shouldnt have to do this.
    i have tried to run the repair to no avail. i have uninstalled and then reinstalled office with no luck. Norton windoc found problems (missing files) with my .net framework, so i uninstalled and then reinstalled that. That fixed the .net missing files but not my office problem.

Help me please cuz this has a tendency to be very frustrating!!!!! Tendency meaning every time i try to use the program.

2. RT

RT

Welcome to TSG

This might be a long shot, but you may need to re-associate the file types with their parent programs. If you can right click the file and choose Open With...(without freezing), then Choose Program... and pick from the list, or Browse to the proper program. Tick "Always use the selected program...." and OK. you should only have to do this with one file of each type, *.doc for Word, *.xls for Excel, and so forth.

3. gordo7787

gordo7787 Thread Starter

i appreciate your help but that didnt fix it. when i right click on the files the folder doesnt freeze, until i try to open the file. i changed both word and excel files to their respective open with programs and when i double clicked on the word or excel program the folder that the file was in froze again and i need to use task manager agin to close the folder.
    i can only assume that maybe a command or shortcut to word or excel is bad or missing. but if so that should have been fixed on the reinstall or repair.

anyone else got an idea??????????

4. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
  5. gordo7787

gordo7787 Thread Starter

i havent cleand it up just yet, but i checked out power point and it works fine. i can double click on a file and it opens up just fine. i will go clean up the HDD right now.

6. gordo7787

gordo7787 Thread Starter

i cleaned my HDD and still no luck..

7. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
  8. badal

badal

I would like to inform you that this might be an issue with the norton plugin for word. it happens sometimes that if the antivirus is not updated it results in these issues:
    Please follow the steps in the link below:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/329820/

Let me know if it works..

9. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

Just as a FYI, this is a 7 month old problem!

10. badal

badal

Did that solution work?
    May I also know if you have installed any antivirus before installing the norton?
    I am sure that this is an issue with any of the antivirus plugin...
    Are you able to open word by clicking on Start> Run and then typing winword /a

Let me know if word opens fine...

Also, have you had any previous version of office installed in your system before installing 2003???

11. WhitPhil

That has had no updates for 7 months!!

12. badal

badal

Okay.. Let me know if you have other issues or concerns as this issue has been resolved by you i guess..;)

13. WhitPhil

If you start at the top of this thread, you will see that it began in January of this year, and the problem belonged to gordo7787. I have no idea how you have managed to think that this was my problem.

14. badal

badal

Oops....

I am so sorry.....:confused:

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/436941

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice