Excel auto dating

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Rafty

When I type 6-23 in a cell it is converted to read:
23 Jun. How do I turn this feature off. I want the cell to
read 6-23.

Another way to do it is to put ' mark before your number, the ' mark will not come out in the cell, it's just Excel's way of saying "leave this cell alone".

Third option, if you want to keep it as a date, but have it appear as you type it you can change it to a "Custom" type:

Click on the cell to select it, click Format, Cells. Select "Custom" in the category on the left and click in the "Type" box. Type the date format in the way you want it - in your example you would type:

m-d

You can also use these:
y = year
m = month
d = date
h = hour
m = minute
s = second

Doubling these up gives single figure dates a zero in front, and using 4 letters gives the full name of the day, month, year so:

m-d = 6-23
mm-dd-yy = 06-23-01
dddd-dd-mmmm-yyyy = Sunday-23-June-2001

HTH
Gram

Anne Troy

Anne
Click on the letter of the column into which you intend to enter dates, choose Format-Cells, choose the Number tab. From the category, choose date. From the right-hand side, choose one of the date types shown. Or, as Gram said, choose Custom and type one in.

If you ALWAYS want 4-digit-year dates, then go into the regional settings of the control panel, Date tab, and choose both a short and long date that have yyyy at the end.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online