1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Excel: Cannot Copy from Workbook to Workbook

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by winqan, May 8, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. winqan

winqan Thread Starter

Hello, advicer
    I do not understand why sometime I cannot copy a range from a workbook to another workbook in EXCEL (but I can if i paste the range in the same workbook). My PC is in the network of the company using WinNT 4.1. Please help me
    Many thanks
    Qan

2. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Generally, when you paste from workbook to workbook, it's trying to paste the links. I suspect you're having this problem because you're copying from the original file and then closing it before you paste to the new file. Excel is one of the pickiest programs when it regards maintaining the clipboard contents.

Try to copy/paste while both workbooks are open. It should paste the links, if I recall, then, close the original workbook and save the new one. Select the contents, copy, Edit-Paste special-Values.

See if that works for you.

3. winqan

winqan Thread Starter

Hello Dreamboat,
    Thank for your suggestion to my problem. Actually I pasted the link to other workbook while the origin workbook was being opened,in other word both of the destinational workbook and origin one are open at the time I paste the link. Anyone help me?

4. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    What happens when you try?

1) paste is not available option
    2) it doesn't paste properly
    3) it just doesn't paste

5. winqan

winqan Thread Starter

The paste and paste special commands in the 'edit' menu (and right hand mouse) are not highlighted at the time I do the paste as if I had not made Ctrl-C the range.

6. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Okay, winqan. Perhaps this is a resource issue. Email my account at [email protected] You do not need to use a subject or a message. It will automatically reply to you with instructions on how to clean up your hard drive and ensure that you have the most amount of resources available to you. It is good to do this for your PC anyway.

Try this, and let me know if it helps.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/43557

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice