1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Excel "cannot shift objects off sheet" Error

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by dhayes1963, Jan 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dhayes1963

dhayes1963 Thread Starter

I am trying to hide or delete some columns in an Excel Spreadsheet (using Excel 2003). Often I cannot perform these functions because I get the "error cannot shift objects off sheet". I understand that this is usually associated with Comments in a cell in the column or adjacent columns. I have followed an MS Knowledgebase article and still can't resolve the problem. It also affects a heap of adjacent columns with no comments in them. Any ideas as to what I can do to hide or delete the columns ?

2. bomb #21

bomb #21

I don't know about comments, but this is usually down to "stray" data (i.e "right-most" columns or "bottom-most" rows).

Press CTRL+End, where the cursor goes to is the extent of your used columns/rows -- at least as far as Excel "thinks".

In essence, deleting any unrequired columns and/or rows and then saving should reset the used space.

3. dhayes1963

dhayes1963 Thread Starter

Thanks Bomb #21. I deleted some blank rows at the base of the file, and now I am able to delete and hide columns. No error messages. Much obliged.

4. bomb #21

bomb #21

(y) -- have a good one.

5. Zack Barresse

Zack Barresse

Don't forget to mark your thread as Solved, you can do so by going to Thread Tools | Mark Solved | Perform Action.

6. glbcpa

glbcpa

I just found this post, tried these suggestions and they did not work.

However, I did figure out that ALL ROWS & COLUMNS need to be "un-hidden" before attempting to track down this error. After unhiding, no longer received error messages when trying to hide a couple rows.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/437335