1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Excel - can't get brackets around negative numbers

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Lee Grant, Oct 22, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lee Grant

Lee Grant Thread Starter

Greetings from Sydney, Australia.

In my last job we used Lotus and you could elect to show minus amounts with brackets around them. Now I have a new job and we use Excel 2000 that shows negative amounts with a minus sign, only. You can't change the format by using Format, Cells, Number.

How do I get negative amounts to show with brackets around them? Also, if this is possible, how do I nominate this feature as a default whenever I start a new Excel worksheet? For that matter, even if it isn't possible, how do I nominate any default options?

Thanks mate.

2. Mike C UK

Mike C UK

Hi Lee,

You can make the changes you want by using Format - Cells - Number.

Just choose Custom andyou will see a scroll down list of possibilities. None of these include bracketing so you just have to add them yourself in the TYPE field.

For instance, make

#,##0.00;[Red]-#,##0.00

read as

(#,##0.00);[Red](-#,##0.00)

to get the result
    (-78.98)
    in your selected fields.

3. Mike C UK

Mike C UK

Sorry Lee, forgot about the second part of your post!

The easiest way to format worksheets/workbooks to have the same default settings is to set up a Template.

Take a look at the Excel Answer Wizard under the Help menu, just type in the word 'defaults' and the top line item

"Create a sheet template for new workbooks"

will guide you through the process, allowing you to set up all the formats you could possibly want.

Down side is is that this template will only apply to NEW sheets - any old ones will have to re-formatted the hard way I'm afraid.

Hope all this puts you back on track.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/56292

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice