1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Excel: Cell address in upper left corner without activating

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by rwsrws12, Dec 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rwsrws12

rwsrws12 Thread Starter

Background:
    I have an excel screen with a couple of top rows frozen.
    I scroll down the bottom section, row after row, using the regular excel scrollbar.
    I do NOT select any cells.

Question:
    I would like to display in one of the frozen top row cells the address (or contents) of the cell currently showing in the upper left hand corner of the non-frozen screen as I scroll along. Again, I am not stopping to highlight the cell (or any cell; just scrolling along).

So, for example, if I've scrolled down to row 102, I would like cell A1 to show "A102" (or its contents).

Vista, Excel 2007

Thanks

2. Sponsor

3. Keebellah

Keebellah Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Hans
    Hi, welcome to the forum,

I imagine you'll have to write some VBA code to do this but if the cell is not active then another mechanism of detection which I'm sure is there must be used to put the cell's address in A1.

You still have the actual reference bos top left from A and above row 1, but this also only shows the selected cell.

Probably something that detects which row is currently right below the freeze frame and show it's address.

No idea, searching via Google should offer hints and maybe somebody with a lot of knowledge in API calls

4. bomb #21

bomb #21

Read "The Excel object model does not provide any method or event that allows you to detect when the user scrolls in a worksheet window. If you need to detect scrolling, for example to reposition some controls on a worksheet, you have few options. The closest you can get is perhaps using the SelectionChange event and comparing the active window's VisibleRange property to some stored value. This is cumbersome and not very reliable."

Then read on.

http://www.cpearson.com/excel/DetectScroll.htm

5. Keebellah

Keebellah Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Hans
    Nice one Bomb, I looked at the site, looks good but yes, cumbersome expecially if you wanted to distuute the workbook.

6. rwsrws12

rwsrws12 Thread Starter

Thanks, Bomb and Keebellah. I'll give it a try, though it looks more as though I'll need to work around the original requirement.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1032199

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice